Lavender Olive Egger Roo, breed with who?

UrbanBohoBarn

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 24, 2016
Antioch, Ca
IMG_8989.jpeg
I have this beautiful, metallic lavender olive egger Roo, that I hatched from an egg and is now five months old. I don’t know what to breed him with. I have read there are certain things you’re not supposed to breed because of the recessive gene. I have lavender Orphington’s, and light Brahmas and white Coach. What do you suggest?

What are you hoping to achieve? Since tou will be producing more crosses it doesn't really matter if you're mixing genes. It's more discouraged when breeding pure breeds as you want to keep most varieties seperate, especially Lavender and Blue.

View attachment 3665186I have this beautiful, metallic lavender olive egger Roo, that I hatched from an egg and is now five months old. I don’t know what to breed him with. I have read there are certain things you’re not supposed to breed because of the recessive gene. I have lavender Orphington’s, and light Brahmas and white Coach. What do you suggest?
Do you remember where you read that? Lavender certainly is a recessive gene, and would not be wanted in purebred chickens of some other colors. For example, someone trying to breed pure black chickens will probably not want lavender chicks popping up unexpectedly a few years later. People breeding blues usually do not want them mixed with lavender either.

But if you are crossing breeds anyway, I can't think of any reason to avoid breeding him with any of the hens you listed.

For all of those possible crosses, daughters will probably lay green or olive eggs.

Since your rooster has a pea comb and muff/beard, he is likely to give those traits to some or all of his chicks. When the mother has a single comb, the chicks may have combs that are a bit bigger and less tidy than the rooster has, because that is what usually happens when one parent has a pea comb and the other has a single comb.

From any hen with feathered feet, chicks will probably have feathered feet too.

For feather colors:
Breeding him with Lavender Orpingtons should produce lavender chicks.
Breeding him with Light Brahmas should produce black chicks.
Breeding him with the white hens may produce white chicks or black chicks or a small chance of some other color yet (there are several different genes that can cause "white" color in chickens, and I don't know which ones your chickens have, so I can't be sure what color the offspring will be.)

Back
Top Bottom