Lavender Orpington Thread

I am visiting about this HEN...
This HEN's dad is an austrolorp, the mom is a blue isbar, or a lavender orpington. what do you guys think? her eggs are tan and she is big. Isbar people say 1/2 LO

Last edited:
My only little lavender orpington chick that hatched a week ago is getting some feathers in finally. I have noticed that her (wishful thinking, too early for gender guesses right???) middle toes on each foot are yellow. Is this normal???

I am visiting about this HEN...
This HEN's dad is an austrolorp, the mom is a blue isbar, or a lavender orpington. what do you guys think? her eggs are tan and she is big. Isbar people say 1/2 LO

Very pretty, but boy that's a mean look she is giving!
big_smile.png

I don't know austrolorps or isbars, but she does have some lav orp features.

My only little lavender orpington chick that hatched a week ago is getting some feathers in finally. I have noticed that her (wishful thinking, too early for gender guesses right???) middle toes on each foot are yellow. Is this normal???

hu.gif
Head looks male to me, but that slow feathering could easily be female.
And yes, the toes are normal. They will darken up as he/she grows.

I hatched 3 yesterday! But they are being shy and not wanting to cooperate for pics! But so far, these are the quietest and sweetest that I've hatched yet!
love.gif

And I think I'm keeping these instead of selling them.
big_smile.png

thanks she is the nicest hen though, her look just says "I get first pick if you have food" she was always big even as a chick, I though she was a boy for a long time called her "Chuck", but I don't cull till they crow and she laid instead. I now call her "Chuckwalla"

I feel like I can relax a bit now knowing her mom, is a mom...

Last edited:
hu.gif
Head looks male to me, but that slow feathering could easily be female.
And yes, the toes are normal. They will darken up as he/she grows.
x2 on the pink toes. They almost always turn gray as they mature. I can't say exactly when, but none of mine have pink toes as adults.

What do you look for on the head to guess male or female? Is it comb color? I've had some with gray skinned combs vs those with light skinned combs.

Back
Top Bottom