Layer feed or all flock for nonlaying hens in winter

Welllaidacres

Songster
Jan 2, 2020
Eastern Illinois
My Coop
My Coop
My hens are starting to really slow down on egg production with the days getting shorter. This will be my first winter with hens. I have been feeding them a premixed layer feed from the local feed coop. Its Hubbard's Homestead brand. With them not laying in the winter, should I switch to an all flock feed that has lower calcium in it or stay with the layer feed? Even with the layer feed I have been letting them free choice eat oyster shell as well.

I like the all flock (20% protein) that I'm using. I also have a cockerel, so that's why I use it. I have OS and eggshell on the side for the girls. The reason I like this is the higher protein. Then I don't worry about shortchanging them with treats like grapes or grass or squash.

I like the all flock (20% protein) that I'm using. I also have a cockerel, so that's why I use it. I have OS and eggshell on the side for the girls. The reason I like this is the higher protein. Then I don't worry about shortchanging them with treats like grapes or grass or squash.

I do this same approach, never worry about them getting what they need. I have a large galvanized pan under the hanging feeder with a mix of OS and grit.

Back
Top Bottom