Laying Hens Feed

jamieneenah

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
HI;

I have meat birds and hens. I have a question about feeding my hens, I want to make sure I am on the right track. They are about 5 month old hens, laying daily.

They have medium grit and medium oyster shell free choice.

For there main food, I mix:
Oats
Wheat
Corn
Alfalfa
Brewers Yeast
Flax Seed
Ground soy bean meal
I also mix in a small amount of a commercial base, but don't use nearly as much as they suggest, as I also give them vitamins in there water.

I maintain a protein level around 18-20% with the base mix I make for the hens.

I have the feeders elevated because they like to play in the food and dump (scratch) it everywhere. Is it ok to still give the birds bowls of cheap grains to scratch around with (corn)? I know if they eat lots of it, there protein intake is going to drop.

Are the birds smart enough to eat both feeds to get the protein they need, the same way they will eat grit and oyster shells or will they just eat as much corn as possiable if it is available?

Thanks
Jamie
Neenah, wi

Last edited:
Some of your birds might be smart enough to eat what we think they need but you are going to have some that will not go along with the program . So i would leave good enough alone , as they say "don't fix it if nothing's wrong with it" . Very good advice !!!

I like your feed formula with whole grains VERY much !!! But (lol) the only thing i would change is to DROP the Soybean meal and bring in "fish meal" or meat meal(meat&boneMeal) . Chickens in their natural state will seek out meat(bugs-grasshoppers-worms-frogs-mice-small snakes-on&on) SO we just can't overlook this and expect our birds to at their best , healthy , robust , production , propagation , on&on .

SoyBean meal(iHateToSayTheWord)will just not get the JOB done , won't even come close .
The feed companies use it because it's cheap , this is why we make our own feed mix .

Go all the way with your mix for the sake of your birds and they will put the best on the table for YOU !!!
Shannon

Quote:

Quote:
Im aware of the mixed issues around soy,and have mixed feeling about it myself. The large local feed mill did not have fish meal, nor did they have peas. Soy was my only option I was aware of for a concentrated proterin source.

So what else would I ask for? Meat Meal? And other good high protein options I should check out?

I need to use something to get that high level of ptotein in the fed.

thanks
Jamie
Neenah wi

Yes Meat Meal would be great , if they don't have it then they usually will have "meat & Bone meal which is good .
Did you ask if they could order the "fish Meal" for you ?

If all fails then find a Hi Fat Hi Protein Dog Food to use . Just calculate how much to use to get the Protein level where you want it at .
I would look for the Highest Fat content quality dog food you can find (the protein will be there if the fat is high) .
They don't have winter peas(?) that the hunters use to plant plots(this would work great) ? Do they have "Pigeon Feed" ? you can get it in allmost 100% peas .

I really hope this helps ,
Shannon

Quote:
Im aware of the mixed issues around soy,and have mixed feeling about it myself. The large local feed mill did not have fish meal, nor did they have peas. Soy was my only option I was aware of for a concentrated proterin source.

So what else would I ask for? Meat Meal? And other good high protein options I should check out?

I need to use something to get that high level of ptotein in the fed.

thanks
Jamie
Neenah wi

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom