lean Leghorn

dustcover

In the Brooder
May 8, 2016
I've recently noticed that my free-ranging White Leghorn seems considerably leaner than her five sisters which include 2 Reds, a Sussex, an Orpington, and a Barred Rock, all of which are 1 - 1 1/2 years of age.. And I'm wondering if the Leghorn is just naturally a slimmer hen than the other breeds, or if something else may be affecting her. I will admit that she eats more than any of the others and that she is at the always available feeder more frequently during the day than any of the others.

And although she has regularly laid five eggs a week, of late her production has dropped off considerably. Otherwise she seems happy and healthy and assimilates with her sisters nicely throughout their daily activities.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Yes, they are a small framed lean breed while the others you mentioned are rounder and fuller. I am often amazed when I catch one of my leghorns just how light they are. That is part of the reason leghorn eggs are what you buy in the store...they are great layers but light eaters, thus economical.

Back
Top Bottom