Learning about lacing (BLR) Image heavy

Kev

Crowing
12 Years
Jan 13, 2008
Sun City, California
Lacing is very new to me, have lots to learn about it.

Would like comments on the quality of lacing on these two birds. They are still young but am surprised at the autosomal barring being so strongly expressed on those.. is that a good sign or a sign of being impure for the necessary genes for good lacing? Any thing else I should take note of? Basically would like to know if either are worth keeping to raise for breeding or should I cull and look for a better male? Also would like opinions on sex of the rose combed chick #1 (yes are wyandottes):

Chick #1

5756_blrwrrall.jpg

(separated wings in this shot to show feathers on back/tail better)
5756_blrwrrback.jpg

(neck/breast)
5756_blrwrrneck.jpg

5756_blrwrr.jpg

Chick#2 (yea he's single combed.. doesn't bother me though- lacing is much more important)

5756_blwrs.jpg

5756_blrwsside2.jpg

5756_blrwschest.jpg

5756_blrwsback.jpg

Can't help with your question but I LOVE that laced look and those colors. I can see I will have to add a few BLR, SL and GL wyandotts to my flock ASAP along with a pretty columbian!

Quote:
Yes! Go for 'em! I saw this color for the very first time last week when someone brought those 2 and 2 older pullets. Could not believe how beautiful they are. The blue looks like it's glowing next to that dark red.

And look, from the thread kathyinmo suggested I check out.. this could be what it looks like in your own yard soon:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4512372#p4512372

Quote:
Thank you, been skimming through that thread right now.. lots of beautiful birds. Would it be okay to post the same pics above & ask for opinions on that thread?

Thanks! sure took some time reading most of that thread. Am slightly worried right now because it seemed like most pics of young chicks around the age of those two had lacing, not barring..
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom