Leg mites?

Futuregreenefarm

Songster
May 9, 2019
Morganton, GA
IMG_20190615_142223.jpg
IMG_20190615_142228.jpg
IMG_20190615_142218.jpg

I realize these are not good pics so sorry for that but my chicks are not very tame having been raised by Mother Hen. I am concerned about leg mites but I'm new at this and the ones with feathers on their legs are the ones concerning me. I am wondering if anyone can tell if this cockerel might have leg mites? I want to re-home him but I don't want to pass on any parasites to the new owner. And suggestions on how to treat chicks/chickens that aren't held on a regular basis to be inspected for problems like this? Thank you.

This a different chick without feathers also.
IMG_20190615_142404.jpg
IMG_20190615_142422.jpg

The last image is the first chick with feathers on his feet. Sorry for the confusion

Attachments

• IMG_20190615_142231.jpg
    IMG_20190615_142231.jpg
    740.5 KB · Views: 7
4B69B4D1-E479-40EE-AAEB-59D395B9B58E.jpeg

These are leg mites (scaly mites actually) on my chicken, it doesn’t look like yours has em. Mine had its spurs and feathers eaten off, but notice the scales!

Thank you both @ebretzel and @Fairyloop5 for answering. I am new to chickens and the legs with feathers look to me like the scales were lifted a little bit. I want to rehome several cockerels that I have but I don't want to spread anything to the farm nice enough to take them off my hands. That's make me feel a lot better knowing they look okay. Thanks again so much.

I'm sorry about your chickens feet @Fairyloop5 . But thank you for sharing so I know what to look out for.

Thank you both @ebretzel and @Fairyloop5 for answering. I am new to chickens and the legs with feathers look to me like the scales were lifted a little bit. I want to rehome several cockerels that I have but I don't want to spread anything to the farm nice enough to take them off my hands. That's make me feel a lot better knowing they look okay. Thanks again so much.

I'm sorry about your chickens feet @Fairyloop5 . But thank you for sharing so I know what to look out for.
Your welcome!

Those leggs look fine to me to.
In the future it will work best if you need to treat an injury or inspect your chickens, to do so after dark. If you use a dim flashlight or, i like a head light so both of my hands are free it works best. I inspect for mites or trim spurs and toe nails if necessary, Doctor an injury or move a broody, all after the chickens have gone to roost.
Its less tramatic for the chicken and easy for yourself.
For future reference, if you ever do have a case of leg mites, you kill them by smuthering them. So repeated coatings of vaseline or vaporub will kill them. You must also kill any that shelter themselves on your roost bars.

Those leggs look fine to me to.
In the future it will work best if you need to treat an injury or inspect your chickens, to do so after dark. If you use a dim flashlight or, i like a head light so both of my hands are free it works best. I inspect for mites or trim spurs and toe nails if necessary, Doctor an injury or move a broody, all after the chickens have gone to roost.
Its less tramatic for the chicken and easy for yourself.
For future reference, if you ever do have a case of leg mites, you kill them by smuthering them. So repeated coatings of vaseline or vaporub will kill them. You must also kill any that shelter themselves on your roost bars.
Thank you so much for the helpful information. That's a great idea about the head light! I appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom