Lemon Pyle Brahma cross babies - more pictures post #18

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sjisty, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Being that I only have one lemon pyle Brahma chicken (it's a hen), I let her run with a light Brahma and a Partridge Brahma. This is what I ended up with:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I ended up with about 14 chicks, most of them with the lighter color of their mom. There is one that almost looks like a buff Brahma (about 4 o'clock in the fourth picture), but I don't have a buff roo. Two look like dark Brahma only with buff coloring. The one in the far upper right corner in the fourth picture (leaving the bowl) is a gold laced cochin, so is not related. I'm not sure what I am going to do with these guys, but just wanted to share some pics!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Those buff colored ones with the blue undertones are very pretty!

3. greenfingers

greenfingers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Very pretty!

4. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    There are things at play here that I do not understand. If your hen is a variation of a splash/blue buff columbian as I previously suspected, I would expect to see some blue silver columbian pullets(light with blue tail/neck) fathered by your light male. Or some light with red leakage cockerels, but no white chicks at all confuses me. The patterned pullet makes sense, fathered by the partridge. Do you have any shots of the co- dads?

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    They are lovely!

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I don't have any pictures of my lemon pyle's parents, or of the partridge roo's parents. I lost my roo a week ago, I think due to the heat. I do have a full partridge chick of his and others in the 'bator, so I'll at least have a few of his progeny.

This is Gizmo, the partridge roo - yes, vulture hocks.

[​IMG]

Rocky, my light boy - I know, squirrel tail, but I still love him!

[​IMG]

Here are more pics of Buttercup, my lemon pyle - By the way, the chicks seen with her are some cochin eggs I won on eBay, so they are not hers.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  7. big medicine

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    Any body got any ideas what we are dealing with here?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    The partridge looks to be blue underneath. Very pretty offspring you have- I love the lemon pyle too! never saw that before.

9. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    I will soon be starting a project with my Brahmas concerning genetics, I hope to hatch out some chicks that show similar colorings.

10. big medicine

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    Alright I have a theory.

Let's assume that the partridge is dad, and is blue.

For mom, let's say she is a splash buff columbian with the dilute gene. Making her a splash patterned lemon/cream columbian.

Using Henk's calculator this cross produces both splash and blue pattered lemon/cream columbian males, and both splash and blue patterned lemon/cream (incomplete)columbian females.

Does this hypothesis have legs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by