veery67eggy

Chirping
Jul 1, 2018
Upstate NY
my golden polish 4 year old hen has scissor beak and has been needing "defrosting" of her feathers some nights. this morning she wasn't moving so we brought her inside. she's been wrapped i a towel for two hours. we've been giving her sugar water through a syringe and force feeding some oatmeal. she isn't improving, though. occasionally she opens her mouth like a baby bird asking for food so when she does that we've been giving her water. she hasn't opened her eyes. her head drops down if not supported, and she has been sitting with her feet curled.
please help! we don't know what this might be or how else to help her.

What do you mean her feathers have been needing "defrosting" some nights? Is she actually accumulating frost on her feathers or do you mean that she is getting too cold during the night?

What is your housing like, does she roost with other birds or sleep by herself?

Sounds like she's hyperthermic and needs to be warmed slowly. Offer warmed sugar water or electrolytes. Once she's warmed and hydrated, then offer wet poultry feed. Oatmeal sounds nice, but getting a nutritionally balanced feed into her would be better. If you have poultry vitamins, direct dose her.

With her being crossbeaked, does she struggle daily eating on her own? Has she been eating?

What do you mean her feathers have been needing "defrosting" some nights? Is she actually accumulating frost on her feathers or do you mean that she is getting too cold during the night?

What is your housing like, does she roost with other birds or sleep by herself?

Sounds like she's hyperthermic and needs to be warmed slowly. Offer warmed sugar water or electrolytes. Once she's warmed and hydrated, then offer wet poultry feed. Oatmeal sounds nice, but getting a nutritionally balanced feed into her would be better. If you have poultry vitamins, direct dose her.

With her being crossbeaked, does she struggle daily eating on her own? Has she been eating?
Yes, she lives with five other hens and usually sleeps next to one or two hens. She has some trouble eating on her own but she manages very well. We do trim her beak often and that makes it a lot easier for her. By defrosting I meant that her feathers get soaked when she drinks and then freeze. We've melted chunks of ice off of her feathers.
UPDATE: after about three hours of feeding her and giving her sugar water (along with VetRx poultry aid) and keeping her wrapped in a towel she started perking up, and seems back to her complete self now. We kept her inside for a few more hours and she was walking around, eating and drinking on her own, and pooping again. we just brought her back outside. our plan is to check her for more ice or cold during the day and at night, and if we have to defrost her we will give her extra food and water then so that she doesn't get like this again.

I would check her crop fill before she goes to roost. Sounds like she's not getting enough to eat and drink, then has no energy to keep herself warm through the night.

Since she’s having so much trouble staying dry and warm, perhaps you could provide her with different accommodations until the weather gets warmer (along with a flock mate to keep her company). It’s worrisome that this happens to her a lot. I’m sure she’s fine when there’s no possibility of frigid temperatures. Good Wishes for your girl.

sorry to respond to this so late, but unfortunately she did pass in January. we think multiple instances of minor hypothermia got the best of her and her body shut down. thanks for all of the advice!

Back
Top Bottom