Lethargic Chick. Please Help

KDailey

Crazy Cochin Lady
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
Bronson, Tx
I'm new to chickens and I've got 6 little 3 day old chicks. One of them, my favorite, is a black silkie bantum. I noticed yesterday it wasn't very energetic but just put it off as maybe that's just it's personality. It seemed ok, just not running around screaming like the rest of them. By late last night I started to worry he may not be feeling well and now by this morning I'm afraid he won't be alive when I get back home from work at 3:00.

He was super lethargic. When he layed down, he had his little wings out and was breathing a little heavier. I thought maybe he's too hot so I moved him to the cooler side of the box. He stayed the same. I haven't actually seen him eat but I have seen him drink (that's not to say he's not doing it when I'm not around though). I picked him up and cupped him in my hand and when I stroked him he just layed over in my hand and seemed to go to sleep. I would think that maybe it was soothing him except that it didn't scare him when I completely flipped him over on his back. He just stayed there.

I put him back in the box right between the feeder and water so he wouldn't have to go far to get it and he just layed there. I'm really worried about him. And it doesn't help that my cuckoo marans chicks just step all over him if he's in the way. They aren't mean to him, they just don't pay any attention and step on him if he doesn't move. They do that to my other bantum chicks too though.

Any ideas? He's my favorite and I think my only silkie. I'd really like to save him.

A chick that sick at that age is most likely not going to make it. If it is still alive this afternoon, move it to a separate place - I put them in a box in the house placed on a heating pad. Hand feed electrolytes like pedialyte mixed with mushed up crumbled and boiled eggs yolk and try to get a little nutrition into the chick. I'm sorry, but I'm guessing it will not live long enough to help.

Thank you.

As much as I hate to say it I was thinking it may be hopeless for the little guy. I just hoped maybe there was something that could be done that I didn't know about since I'm fairly new to this.

I'll try the eggs when I get home if he's still alive.

two of my chicks just died the exact same way. I am suspecting cocidiosis, so I am treating for that, they sale electrolytes and vitamin mix along with a powder medication for this. It could be contagious, as it has been with my guys. I only have 4 chicks left and today one of my silkies is sick. I doubt what you do your guy will make it, we tried but it was very fast. I am so sorry, same boat over here

I just recieved a text message from my boyfriend. The little guy died
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom