Lethargic hen, stands, drinks a lot will not eat

RoosMama

Songster
6 Years
Apr 26, 2017
Livingston County, MI
0F07D8CA-7EB4-4421-AD6A-58BE66D3EA43.jpeg 52FFD4D1-0365-49CE-9EDE-AC7F857EB731.jpeg Hi everyone! I was hoping to get some help with my hen. Yesterday evening I noticed she was not acting like herself. She is generally the Frost to hear the back door open and come running for a treat. She is just standing in one place and closing her eyes. Does not not seem interested in laying down. She is drinking a lot of water, but not eating. Even when offered her favorite yogurt. She is a 20 month old White Leghorn. She is my double yolk large egg layer, so I was thinking she may be egg bound. I brought her in and felt around her abdomen. I did not feel an egg. So with a gloved bacitracin covered finger, I checked her vent and did not feel anything there either. I have never had a chicken that was egg bound, so I am only assuming that I would be able to detect it. She did become a bit more alert when I was feeling her abdomen. I’m not sure if it was physical discomfort or just annoyance with me. Her crop feels soft, but she has been drinking a lot and I am positive she has not eaten in 24 hours. It feels like it is empty of food but has water in it. I put my nose near her moth and opened it , but I did not notice a bad smell. She is pooping as well. I will post a picture. I not sure what do do here, any guidance would be appreciated.

I would put some electrolytes and vitamins in her water. Mix a small cup of chicken feed, a lot of water to make it runny, and a tsp of plain yogurt. Chopped egg is good too. Feel of her lower belly to see if it is full or enlarged. Has she lost any weight in her breast area? Keep an eye on her crop, to make sure it empties by morning. I would wonder if she might have some sort of intestinal or reproductive problem. Hopefully she will feel better tomorrow.

Thank you for replying! I appreciate the advice. I just gave her electrolytes and probiotic in her water. I did give her some with a dropper. I felt her belly and did not notice anything off, but I am not sure I even know what it should normally feel like. All of my other ladies are up to roost for the night and I cannot reach them. I will try to compare in the morning. I also mixed the food as you stated and put that in there. I left out the yogurt until morning, I had some plain in there with her earlier and she wanted nothing to do with it. I haven’t noticed any weight loss in her breast area. Thanks again for the advice! I hope she improves some overnight. I’ll update in the morning!

Many of my older hens have developed an enlarged lower belly between the legs, and that can be a sign of many reproductive disorders, such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, salpingitis, and ascites or water belly. Those can cause some of the illnesses commonly seen in hens over 2. Occasionally, younger ones may have them. When they develop some of them, they may lose weight gradually in the breast area and feel lighter.

You may want to get some fresh droppings checked by a vet for coccidiosis or worms. I would look her over for any lice or mites on her skin, especially under the vent. Check her crop early in the morning to make sure that it empties normally overnight.

Many of my older hens have developed an enlarged lower belly between the legs, and that can be a sign of many reproductive disorders, such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, salpingitis, and ascites or water belly. Those can cause some of the illnesses commonly seen in hens over 2. Occasionally, younger ones may have them. When they develop some of them, they may lose weight gradually in the breast area and feel lighter.

You may want to get some fresh droppings checked by a vet for coccidiosis or worms. I would look her over for any lice or mites on her skin, especially under the vent. Check her crop early in the morning to make sure that it empties normally overnight.

So far today she seems to have improved and gotten worse at the same time! She seems more alert when she’s awake and we could get her to eat a bit. But today she is not standing much, she seems to be off balance when she tries. Her belly does seem to be swollen and tender. I checked for mites and lice and I can’t find any indication of them. I have never wormed her. Would You suggest worming her or giving antibiotics? I called around and I cannot find a vet near here that treats chickens. I’m almost an hour from the nearest vet period. Her crop did feel empty this morning.

I would take in some droppings to a vet locally and get a fecal test for worms and coccidiosis. I would keep a watch on how the crop is doing and if it empties by morning, then you could try an antibiotic such as amoxicillin or Baytril (enrofloxacin.) If the crop is not emptying, then antibiotics might make that worse.

Back
Top Bottom