Lethargic Rooster

PamelaH

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 9, 2014
Hi all! We have a small flock of laying hens which also includes a rooster. I think our rooster might be sick but as a first time chicken owner - i am not sure if this is normal behavior. Its pretty warm out but our flock is kept under the shade of 4 good-sized trees. We change out water often. We feed everyday and keep a rather clean coop area. The rooster is not making any of his typical calls or warnings. Its only in the mid 70’s here today. We are out in the country and there are lots of bugs. They do not free-range. We give them typical chicken feed. He just lays around not eating much or drinking much. No color change in his comb. Any ideas??

Attachments

• 3D50B202-CE9D-4F39-B837-A5F4774F386F.jpeg
    3D50B202-CE9D-4F39-B837-A5F4774F386F.jpeg
    732.8 KB · Views: 62
Yes, no mites, my bf felt his crop and it felt like a water balloon. His poop was watery. Wondering if he has sour crop?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

We give them typical chicken feed.
Is that "layer"? What is his age?

keep a rather clean coop area.
Adding in some layers to make the ground more like mulch would be considered much cleaner than barren dirt.. Adding in grass clipping, dry leaves, wood chips, etc.. invites good bugs and bacteria to the party to really help keep things balanced.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Generally speaking if something seems out of the ordinary with chickens, it is. Nice job checking his crop, start there.

Hope your boy recovers quickly. :fl

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Is that "layer"? What is his age?

Adding in some layers to make the ground more like mulch would be considered much cleaner than barren dirt.. Adding in grass clipping, dry leaves, wood chips, etc.. invites good bugs and bacteria to the party to really help keep things balanced.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Generally speaking if something seems out of the ordinary with chickens, it is. Nice job checking his crop, start there.

Hope your boy recovers quickly. :fl
We decided to try giving him Monistat 7 mixed with a little coconut oil. He already seems a bit more perked up. We watch him and see how he is tomorrow. I am amazed at how much his flock takes care of him. They take turns. We’ve only had him a couple of months. We dont know how old he is but he was friendly right when we got him. It only took literally half an hour for him to get in with the flock. We all are very fond of him and want to do whats best. I really appreciate all the wonderful advice we have received And thank you to you! 😊

Well, my bf came home and, sadly, our rooster had passed away on us. 😢

I wish i knew what was wrong with him. We tried the above and it almost seemed like he was turning around and now gone. Our girls were not acting like themselves - like they knew he was dying. We are sad. Luckily, we just hatched 7 of his chicks and 2 are black - we are hoping one is another rooster.

Back
Top Bottom