Lets hear it for the LADIES who build their own coops!

I shared pics of my coop on the Opa's Avatar thread, but I can't find the page now. So, here are a few pics of the coop...

Just getting started...
18671_pict2210.jpg

progress...
18671_pict2220.jpg

after the roofing...
18671_pict2489.jpg

I'm still working on it, and building an attached run. It is 5x7 inside, and has an external-access nesting box. (I think it's called a tunnel nest.)

I spent about $200 on the things I couldn't find on craigslist, or scrounge from DSO.

Oooh, I really like that last one with all the windows around. I'm building mine as we all speak. Its evolving as I build. Its currently 8x45, half being enclosed and have being covered but not enclosed except with poultry wire. DH had no time or real inclination to help, so its my doing. Turning out great. Photos will have to wait until I clean up debris...its a mess. Soon! Vicki;)

Thats a really beautiful tractor!

This is my set up. I have a smallish petting zoo, the chicken coop/run is behind the main areas you can see. It's the tall fenced in rooms in the back. I'm a 28 year old woman, and the only help I've had with any of these structures has been from my 60 year old Mom.. so they're all "Gal Built". In the pics, we're still constructing (Always constructing!) so ignore the clutter.
smile.png

pettingzoo2.jpg

PettingZoo.jpg

THAT IS AN AWESOME SETUP! i can only dream! i hope my ivory sells so i can make enough to do something like that. i'd really like a better, safer run for the girls and the chicks when they grow up!

but seriously, that is really really cool! i LOVE it!

I build my own coop this winter, and learned a lot along the way. (Much of it from BYC.) I have built some things before and worked in the house, but never built even a tiny building before. So I'm very proud of this.

Full disclosure: I got help from my brother on the roof and from my brother-in-law on the wiring. But that left plenty of work for me. I'm fifty and it took me two months. A big enough job to satisfy me.

I can already see some mistakes, and that's without housing a single chick in it yet. But I guess it will do if I don't over crowd it too much.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/25597_chicken_coop_deville_041.jpg[/IMG]]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/25597_chicken_coop_deville_037.jpg[/IMG]]

Now if it would stop raining, I would go out and finish it asap.

Debby

By the way, its on skids and I'm going to move it when the ground dries out a bit, to behind the horse shed, down wind from the house, and where there are lots of "things" for free range chickens to scratch in.

Debby

Back
Top Bottom