Let's put our party hats on!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jewels1935, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Okay, I know most of you say don't touch the eggs after 18 days. I have 5 under a broody and she's still turns the eggs, moves off them for 5 minutes a day. Yesterday was day 21 for me, so this morning at 6:57 while she was off her nest eating, I checked the eggs. I have internal pips [​IMG] I can see the beak clear as day inside the air-cell, pecking away. I marked the eggs with a pencil on site where the beak was hitting. Now, I wont touch them. Thing is, if humidity is an issue, why would mama still remove herself off the eggs and continue turning them? I didn't sleep much last night. I sat the hamper next to my bed and she moved around alot last night, scratching and making nest larger. When I woke, she had moved her eggs a few inches over and was facing another direction.

Nature works in amazing ways, but I promise NOT to touch anymore. I know all are alive and we have internal pips. I just don't understand why they continue to turn eggs if it's dangerous to the peep?

But anyways....Lets put our party hats on and get ready for [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] and don't forget about [​IMG] she is doing a great job.

2. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    [​IMG] Little babies soon! [​IMG]

3. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Wow! Congrats Jewels! Im pretty sure I heard a internal pop also this morning! Sure hope so. I hope I get a little surprise when I get home from work! [​IMG]

4. Jewels1935

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:Me too! This sure has been an exciting, nerve wreaking experience!! My goodness, and mama just sits there like "what? Can I help you?" everytime I look at her! [​IMG]

5. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Me too! This sure has been an exciting, nerve wreaking experience!! My goodness, and mama just sits there like "what? Can I help you?" everytime I look at her! [​IMG]

At least you don't have the worry that you may/ could do something wrong since they will have a mama! Any hatchlings yet??

6. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    [​IMG]

7. Jewels1935

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida

At least you don't have the worry that you may/ could do something wrong since they will have a mama! Any hatchlings yet??

Not yet..I'll check the eggs when she takes her next water break [​IMG] She's sitting tight now. I have the hamper in the living-room, so I can listen for peeps [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  8. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:At least you don't have the worry that you may/ could do something wrong since they will have a mama! Any hatchlings yet??

Not yet..I'll check the eggs when she takes her next water break [​IMG] She's sitting tight now. I have the hamper in the living-room, so I can listen for peeps [​IMG]

Ok let us know as soon as something happens. I sure hope when I get home I At least have a pip!

9. Jewels1935

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    I hear peeps! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] So we can say the chicks are breathing air right?

10. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Same here! Lots of peeps but no pips! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by