LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

Yes I really like the selection in the Hardy section and they would probably do best in our climate, big temp swings between day and night. 4C is common at night, up to 27C during the day in the summer. The website suggests to wait until overnight lows are above 4C at night before ordering, protects them during shipping, so I will probably wait to order til the end of this month. Gives me time to make a decision, I want too many of them already! :barnie
One word: Opuntia. Their spines will help keep critters away they are hardy enough to overwinter where I am, so will manage your 'winter', and they have really pretty flowers.

One word: Opuntia. Their spines will help keep critters away they are hardy enough to overwinter where I am, so will manage your 'winter', and they have really pretty flowers.

:smackShhhh and I was trying to keep TwoCrows from finding out about their existence! Opuntia are the bane of every human's existence! Know where prickly pears come from? Opuntia. Know whose spikes are both huge and microscopic, lasting for ages and hurting like h€ll? OPUNTIA The only truth about them is that they grow to be MASSIVE. The problem with that is that (especially if they're rooted at the bottom of a slope) you can't walk within a two meter radius of the massive infernal plant. Sounds a bit too personal? That's because it is. Enjoy opuntia from across the screen

:smackShhhh and I was trying to keep TwoCrows from finding out about their existence! Opuntia are the bane of every human's existence! Know where prickly pears come from? Opuntia. Know whose spikes are both huge and microscopic, lasting for ages and hurting like h€ll? OPUNTIA The only truth about them is that they grow to be MASSIVE. The problem with that is that (especially if they're rooted at the bottom of a slope) you can't walk within a two meter radius of the massive infernal plant. Sounds a bit too personal? That's because it is. Enjoy opuntia from across the screen
We have wild Prickly Pear, Beaver-tail, etc.. type cactus growing around here and the only critter that eats these is cattle. I have NO idea how they eat the leaves, spines and all but they do! This said, cattle are not grazed around here so these will definitely be safe. :p

We have wild Prickly Pear, Beaver-tail, etc.. type cactus growing around here and the only critter that eats these is cattle. I have NO idea how they eat the leaves, spines and all but they do! This said, cattle are not grazed around here so these will definitely be safe. :p

Oh I'm not worried about the Satan spawn, I'm worried about YOU! We have them growing at the bottom of the property, all the animals know better than to approach them. Thing is, humans aren't always as maneuverable. I've come sooo close to getting stabbed by one of those giant opuntia more than once. Even the darn prickly pairs require a lot of skill to harvest. If there's one plant I can't stand, it's that one!

If you're sure you want to welcome the terror itself into your home, just know that tape is the best thing you can do if you get pricked. Still might have a swollen hand for a week, though

I can see I've got a completely different idea of a friendly garden to you lot.:eek:
My eldest keeps trying to palm me off with her succulant offspring, most look dangerous even if they're not.

Oh, I bet you'll like them. They're not bad at all. Although I also like to look at lush bushes, trees, and flowers in my gardens and beds, so that's what I have. Most of my succulents are in my potted collection, in a comparatively small part of the garden.

You should take her up on the offer, I'm sure you'll love them. Unless they're opuntia, of course. I bet back in Catalonia you would've seen them growing huge like we have them here. If evil took a physical form, those would be it

"Have a couple of baby plants" she said. That monster was just a wee thing when it moved in.
13811-b8bf2b7034744e246c9fb291e2f7f816.gif

I used to be able to put things on that chest of drawers. Now I have to fight it to get a drawer open. I've another "gift" in the kitchen. "It won't grow very big" she said. It's trying to steal food from the pots on the cooker now.:barnie
P4110557.JPG

"Have a couple of baby plants" she said. That monster was just a wee thing when it moved in.View attachment 3797639
I used to be able to put things on that chest of drawers. Now I have to fight it to get a drawer open. I've another "gift" in the kitchen. "It won't grow very big" she said. It's trying to steal food from the pots on the cooker now.:barnie
View attachment 3797638
I want to get one when I have my own place and sunroom

Back
Top Bottom