light sussex molting?

Mekkyyyyy

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 6, 2012
hey there all u litl chicky farmers...
i am new to the chicky biz, just about 10 months now. started a flock of about 15 last year. lost a few to being roos which we got rid of and couple disappeared..mystery!!..then weasels came in and took 9 of 13. dang it all...so we fortified our coop and run. now totally predator proof. increased the flock again back to 8.
Heres my question?...
i have a light sussex...she decided to brood.. and brooded for about 4-5 weeks. now she is dropping feathers but i see NO bald spots on her anywhere. she is only 10 months old. do u think she is molting or is she losing feathers due to the brooding where she sat on her empty nest for 4-5 weeks?...
did she lose too many nutrients while brooding?..
open to opinions please.

Mary

Do you actually see the feathers falling off of her? Or are they just around her nesting area? She could be pulling them out of her chest to line the nest. If she is old enough, it could be molting as well.

hi..thanks for responding. i have seen them dropping off of her and they are also under the perch where she roosts at nite...she is no longer brooding...has not been brooding now for about 2 weeks..i cant see any bare skin on her anywhere but she has definately lost alot of feathers including tail feathers...Mary

Back
Top Bottom