Lighting Ideas???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lunkerchicken, Sep 13, 2009.

1. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

I am looking for some unique lighting ideas for the coop. I have electricity nearby in the play house but to run it over to the coop will be challenging. I was looking for some alternative, perhaps something involving solar. I also want to incorporate a timer so I don't know if solar will cut it. My goal is to extend the hours of light so the girls lay more frequently through the fall and winter. Any ideas??? Thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. joamos2

joamos2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2009
  3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Quote:I bought one similar to that at Menards. I'd assume Lowe's and HomeDepot may have them too. They are mostly recommended for sheds to my undertanding. The brand I have comes in thre sizes, all have LED lights. The smallest 10, mid size 15 and the largest (approx $ 60) 25 LED lights. I have the small one for now, I have not installed it yet, on the to do list for tomorrow. I like that it has an on/off switch. Don't know if a timer can be attached. Don't know if the smaller ones come with a remote. I think I heard that larger ones come with a remote but I am not sure.

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
  5. joamos2

joamos2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2009
    Thanks, I may have to just give it a try

6. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    I looked at solar stuff for the longest time as I wanted to do a light like you have talked about. I also wanted to do the electric fence. My chicken coop is about 140' from my house and I deemed it to far away to run electricity however after looking at the solar options I decided the $59 roll of wire to run the power to my coop wasn't all that bad. I wish it was more economical to use solar power.

A small 18 gage power wire will run more watts in the chicken coop that $1000 in solar equipment **sigh**

Maybe you can find something used that would be cheaper....

Good luck....

7. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the input. I continue to struggle with running wire to the coop vs solar. I think the wire is going to win although it is going to be a very difficult install.... Wish me luck... Updates to follow...
    [​IMG]

8. sashurlow

sashurlow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    West Rutland, VT
    If you are only trying to extend the day light, why not try a driveway light. You would have to dismantle it slightly but it should be easy to do.
    Scott

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by