Lighting Ideas???

lunkerchicken

Songster
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
I am looking for some unique lighting ideas for the coop. I have electricity nearby in the play house but to run it over to the coop will be challenging. I was looking for some alternative, perhaps something involving solar. I also want to incorporate a timer so I don't know if solar will cut it. My goal is to extend the hours of light so the girls lay more frequently through the fall and winter. Any ideas??? Thanks.
idunno.gif

Quote:
I bought one similar to that at Menards. I'd assume Lowe's and HomeDepot may have them too. They are mostly recommended for sheds to my undertanding. The brand I have comes in thre sizes, all have LED lights. The smallest 10, mid size 15 and the largest (approx $ 60) 25 LED lights. I have the small one for now, I have not installed it yet, on the to do list for tomorrow. I like that it has an on/off switch. Don't know if a timer can be attached. Don't know if the smaller ones come with a remote. I think I heard that larger ones come with a remote but I am not sure.

I looked at solar stuff for the longest time as I wanted to do a light like you have talked about. I also wanted to do the electric fence. My chicken coop is about 140' from my house and I deemed it to far away to run electricity however after looking at the solar options I decided the $59 roll of wire to run the power to my coop wasn't all that bad. I wish it was more economical to use solar power.

A small 18 gage power wire will run more watts in the chicken coop that $1000 in solar equipment **sigh**

Maybe you can find something used that would be cheaper....

Good luck....

Thanks for the input. I continue to struggle with running wire to the coop vs solar. I think the wire is going to win although it is going to be a very difficult install.... Wish me luck... Updates to follow...
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom