Limping hen- help

chickenlvr4

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 17, 2013
Savannah Ga
I have a 1.5 yr old barred rock that started limping yesterday n has her tail end pointed down. She sits most of the day but is eating n drinking. She's still alert n is not egg bound as far as well can tell by feeling her vent area. Is baby aspirin safe and what could be the issue?

Hmmm, I would have guessed egg binding but from what you said she doesn't act this way. Yes, I'd try a half capsule of 81 baby asprin. Have you looked at her foot? Does she have bumble foot?

I'm not sure what bumble foot looks like but I did check her feet a few times and they look great, like the other hens. No sores, cuts, swelling or change in color. I only have 7 hens & they are very much our pets as well as a supply for fresh eggs so I really hate that she's not comfortable. I watched her closely n she layed an egg today and the other hens are not bothering her should I seperate her tonight in case it's an illness ?

I'm not sure what bumble foot looks like but I did check her feet a few times and they look great, like the other hens. No sores, cuts, swelling or change in color. I only have 7 hens & they are very much our pets as well as a supply for fresh eggs so I really hate that she's not comfortable. I watched her closely n she layed an egg today and the other hens are not bothering her should I seperate her tonight in case it's an illness ?

I don't think an illness would cause her to limp. That's good that it looks normal and that she laid. I wouldn't seperate her. Did she get frostbite this past winter? Is it cold where you live? Have you had a sudden change in weather?

No, I'm in Ga so it hardly gets below freezing here but on the rare occasion it gets into the 20's I will put the heat lamp on in the coop for a bit at night. It has been really hot so they have a small plastic pool to stand in to cool off and I've been freezing lil bits of fruit w water in a bowl so they have to peck at the ice to get to the fruit. They seem to love it but other than that they eat organic food n free range once it twice a wk. I'm at a loss but will try the baby aspirin. Ty very much for you're help. :)

Back
Top Bottom