Little girl fell in water

Easy solution to this whole thing. Either make a MHP...Momma Heating Pad... or buy a heating plate they can get under when they want more warmth. Either option is better than a heat lamp, which is dangerous, 'specially with a cardboard box
I was going to buy one but I saw they were pretty expensive, and I was watching plenty of chick rearing videos on YouTube where their only source of heat was the lamp. I'll get a MHP in the future but for now things are going well with what I have available.

So, so far I've only gotten one answer on my original topic was...
My chick is doing fine now, it just seems like she is struggling to hold herself up. Sometimes she stumbles and others she walks fine. When she sleeps she lays on her side and when she wakes up she's alert and alive. Anyone know what it could be??

You mentioned that your chick got wet. Birds have hollow bones which makes them very sensitive to temperature changes. I suspect your chick got quite cold. It sounds like you live somewhere pretty warm, so you may not have experienced this yourself, but cold (and hypothermia) can make you sleepy, sluggish, uncoordinated. When I'm out in the snow it's hard to do things like zip my jacket, lock and unlock the small latches on the chicken coop, I quickly become uncoordinated myself. I would recommend keeping your chick warm and dry. Does your chick seem to be eating and drinking normally? You can add electrolytes to the water or add a little honey or molasses or maple syrup to make some sugar water, maybe a teaspoon in the waterer when you fill it. It will not hurt the other chicks if they drink it and might help perk this one up a little. Overall keep an eye on her and see if she gets better or worse and see if she is eating, drinking, and pooping normally. If anything changes, let us know!

You can put some marbles or stones in the base of your waterer to keep the chicks from getting in and getting too wet like this picture.
13752_dscd06030.jpg

and then you can make a no mess duck waterer from your recycling, similar to this picture, with holes tall enough that the chicks can't get in, but the ducklings can dip their heads in
e589fc1f680fa5a9e09613a9da74d78b.jpg

So, so far I've only gotten one answer on my original topic was...
My chick is doing fine now, it just seems like she is struggling to hold herself up. Sometimes she stumbles and others she walks fine. When she sleeps she lays on her side and when she wakes up she's alert and alive. Anyone know what it could be??

Well I was asking if you had heat light since you asked if she was cold and was guessing the ducks got her wet verses her falling in.

One of my chicks, that is already smaller than the rest, fell in the water and got soaked yesterday. I tried drying her off but it wasn't much help. She's been very quiet and doesn't move much anymore.
Do you think she's in shock, just a little cold, other??

I like to put a dish under the waterers (dessert size for the small waterers) It helps for spills even with chicks.

And it is best to have the ducks separate.

Back
Top Bottom