Livestock guardian dogs

GP wont stop wolves u will need a much more aggressive more forward LGD for wolves. caucasian ovcharka, asian overchakas, cao, kangals. I know plenty of GP that have worked in pairs and even in packs of 3 that have been killed and mutilated by wolves north of me. My own dog who is just a working shepherd import has pulled down adult male GP herself that have wandered on my land and i had to save them. THey are soft dogs not capable of fighting for real. They are bluff dogs. I can promise you if a wolf wants to take 1 down he will win. So will big eastern coywolves. If they find out the GP's bluff they will win. A gp will not fight till death. They are very easy to deter and make make down.

If you dont want something so excessive look into maremma, kuvaaz, and komadoors from working lines. YOu get the odd gp that is good but the consistency is so bad and so many are soft they go out into the field when a predator takes its chance and gets brave and very serious the GP often fails. Go with a much harder serious dog.

Many dogs put on a show and chase the predator off when things turn real the dog is killed and ripped up. Or the dog shuts down in fear cause it was not bred or never had that serious fight drive in it to fight or protect for real. GP have been altered so much to fit the pet and show world.

Jusy like 95 percent of german shepherds out there cannot do real protection police work they will shut down and fail thats why they are imported from the czech a lot. OR they use another breed that has not been ruined.

This i am assuming there is a serious danger to the livestock. I have heard so many people say "BUT I HAd a GP how could the coyotes get my sheep??

Last edited:
Yeah, we're considering the kangal, maremma, or boz shepherd right now. Ovcharka would be great but we live on 5 acres and it's my understanding that they are a pretty hostile breed. Our neighbors have children and the bus stop is at the end of our driveway. We're going to run hot wire around our property but we need a breed that's generally tolerant of children.

I don't think we live in an overtly dangerous area, we're still fairly close to town. The biggest issue currently would be roving dogs, and maybe coyotes. We caught coyotes trying to get into the chicken coop a few times already, so sheep and goats will definitely be a target. Wolves aren't a problem right now and if my state government stops denying their incompetence and starts managing them properly they probably never will be a threat. Currently there are way more than they expected, they reproduce faster than expected, and eat more than expected. It's a trend that, if unchecked, might cause them to become a nuisance.

We're looking at this from a perspective that our biggest threat is coyotes and roving stray dogs. The wolves are a complete non-issue for at least the next several years.

I have been told recently by some LGD people that there are some CO bloodlines that are more laid back... I did message you about coming to see my Boz Shepherds as they are so good with kids... But from what I'm told there are some CO bloodlines that could work good too. If you want the names of the breeders I can find them for you... Just be happy with what you get... I will say animals 1981 states what I have heard from many people, that GPs don't have the bark to back up their bite... that they kind of bluff bark... Be happy with what you get but also make sure its Bada$$ if you're in wolf country:)

Boy! such low esteem for GP. Granted, the breed is being ruined by many. Too many want them for family pets just as German Shepherd HAS BEEN ruined.

I see many GP's up for adoption as a family pet and not as LGD. So don't expect them to do the job of livestock guarding. Even in the description of these dogs, it says not for LGD!! Of all the GP up for adoption, I've only seen two or so that said, not for family pet and must be a working dog. Not sure how you would imprint an adult GP to a new flock/herd...

If are concerned about coyotes or even wolves, get a line/breed that hasn't been ruined. I don't have any experience with CO so can't say much just what I've read, Personally, I think such a dog sounds like too much of a liability. Mareema might be a good compromise or something along that line. These dogs are pretty big so the cost of feeding and care is not cheap. Something to think about.

And if you have to deal with pack of coyotes, you better have multiple Mareema or even multiple CO is my guess.

I'm bit biased for GPs.

You want at least two dogs regardless of what breed/breeds you use & how many predators you have. Dogs need a chance to sleep & take breaks, & with two dogs you have them watching more directions at once, delegating duties (like one dog patrolling while the other stays with the livestock), & backing each other up when there is a predator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, we're considering two dogs. We don't know when we'll do the sheep and goats, but we'll probably get them and the dogs around the same time so probably not until next year at the earliest. I'm really thinking about the boz shepherd. We just might come meet your dogs. :)

I don't have Boz Shepherds, I have Central Asian Shepherds. :cool: But you're welcome to meet my dogs too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a Great Pyrenees and I have had a Great Pyrenees/Anatolian cross - they are both excellent guardians given the correct introduction and training.
Once that has been accomplished NOTHING will get by and harm your flock. I have not lost one bird due to predators while I have had a LGD. I live in the Angeles Forest where we have coyotes, foxes, mountain lions and bears. That of course. does not mean to throw caution to the wind. Always be proactive! (keep flock in coop at night etc.)

Good luck!

I have a GP, we got him at 12 weeks old and he's been on the job ever since. We were losing chickens to coyote so we decided to get a GP. He is amazing, the natural instincts that have been bred into them are just a sight to behold. We haven't done any training with him really, if he does something I don't want him to do I give him a firm "NO" and that's it. Admittedly I am a very strong pack leader (we have 2 other dogs as well), so he regards me as such and would never cross me. I love him so, he's just an awesome dog.

Lurchers if you have them in the us are greyhounds x with sumthing like a terrier. They are fast trainable and will take on wolves 1 on 1.also try aussie cattle dogs, staghounds wolfhounds or get an alpaca. They cant stand prrdators.

Back
Top Bottom