1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lone rooster

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aks0928, Feb 16, 2017.

1. aks0928

aks0928 New Egg

Oct 7, 2016
    Hi all!
    We had 3 chickens die last night, leaving only 1 lone rooster. His name is Cranky (if you can imagine why :) ), but he's obviously very lonely as these were his siblings. We're very new into chickens, and I'm not sure what to do with him now? Serama rooster, 5 mos. old. There was a hen in the bunch that he protected and loved very much (see photo). What't the best way to integrate a new friend?
    [​IMG]
    TIA!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Mercy, Sorry for your Loss. You know we are wondering what happen. I have Never had a problem bring in new ladies for a Rooster. I just would just try to get every how many ladies you want that were raised together----so its peaceful. No New males!!! He might not like that.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  3. aks0928

aks0928 New Egg

Oct 7, 2016
    Thanks for weighing in. It was an unfortunate miscommunication and they didn't get checked yesterday. Our temps have been nothing short of a roller coaster ride, so that didn't help either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by