Look at this! Egg inside of an egg!!

That's awesome! The reason that happens is because a fully formed egg reverses direction in the uterus, backing up into the next yolk (ova) coming down the oviduct and both the yolk and the first egg are treated as one. They are surrounded in albumen, (white) membranes, and the second shell. You can read more about how eggs are made and see more egg oddities on my blog here-->
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/01/how-hen-makes-egg-egg-oddities.html

I would be concerned for this hen. Eggs within eggs are very rare and for one hen to produce more than one indicates a serious problem. :(

I would be concerned for this hen. Eggs within eggs are very rare and for one hen to produce more than one indicates a serious problem. :(

Ditto! If she were a pscitacine or other pet bird, an avian vet would recommend spaying her while she is still apparently healthy. Hens that consitently have abnormal eggs usually succumb to egg yolk peritonitis, egg binding, or internal laying. One egg within an egg is a fluke, but three or four in such a short period of time is very concerning and rarely ends well for the hen in the long run.

What breed is she? I wonder if some breeds are more susceptible to this. Have you changed her diet recently? I wonder how she lays them without getting hurt.
Very interesting. Thanks for posting!

WOW!
ep.gif

i got one too! and i was really bummed that i didn't video it when i cracked it open. i figured it was from my peahen... boy was i wrong! totally cool. now i have my iphone out whenever there is a funky looking egg

Back
Top Bottom