Look at this Egg!!!

Thats monstrous!!!
ep.gif

Hi there, I used to have 2 chickensthat laid those size eggs but a precautionary tale............................... One day I found in the nest box what looked like the whole of their reproductive organs . Almost as if she had prolapsed and it had come away from her body. About a month later the same thing happened to the other chicken. Neither of them ever laid another egg and eventually after about 6 months , a few weeks apart they both died.
Please do not think I am being morbid as I expect there are plenty of hens out there that lay huge eggs and are perfectly healthy but just to let people know of my personal sad experience. Beryl

The problem is that there's nothing you can DO to encourage or prevent eggs of that size. It's not like you can sit a hen down and say "Listen sweetie....we're very proud of you and your accomplishment....but we're worried that your over achievements might be detrimental to your health."

So you might as well enjoy the occasional whopper egg when you get them!

Waiting for those pictures..how many yolks??

I've heard that RI can lay some big eggs..I have had an Austraolorp that has laid some nice sized eggs, no doubles though, and I wouldn't mind getting one once in a while.
droolin.gif

I had to get up and go to the dentist early this morning so we still haven't had time to eat it. We are aiming to crack it open tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom