Looking for advice/encouragement

Well the chick had made no progress at 3 am so I decided to try and help it. It seemed very weak and didn't make it. This is so sad! I have one more pipped that's moving around and peeping so hopefully this one pulls through. I'm a little worried I shrink wrapped it though from opening my incubator a few times. I did add some wet paper towels to bring up the humidity after opening it. Thanks for the advice!

I'm so sorry about your chick
hugs.gif
. Fingers crossed the next one will hatch o.k!

Well my chick hatched about 1/2 hour ago and seems to be doing well! Very lively!! I'm so relieved...
smile.png

The only other question I have is ..my last egg has shown no sign of life. I tried tapping on it as you said and didn't hear anything inside. Should I give it more time or do you think it's probably dead? Today is day 22.

Yay! That's great news!

I think, if you feel up to it, you can open the egg now and check. Candle and mark the air cell line, then take a sharp object and score an X above the air cell line, I like to do it right at the end of the egg. Score it over and over until you can break through the shell, then take a pair of tweezers and carefully open the shell, don't make too big a hole. Take a Q-tip, wet it with clean water and wipe the membrane covering the chick. If that doesn't get a response :-( If the chick does respond let me know? I'll tell you what to do.

"Scratching" an X then
smile.png
Just scratch/score it over and over, make a little x groove in the shell.

Well the chick was not alive. I poked it with the q tip and it was hard with no movement. I continued to peel the shell off and the chick was swooshing around inside the membrane. There was so much fluid inside. I'm wondering if my humidity was too high. Ugh. Well, this was definitely a learning experience. I wasn't expecting such trouble since my last hatch went so well. I'm just thankful that I got 2 so they're not lonely. Thank you for all of your guidance and fast responses it was really helpful I appreciate it!
smile.png

I'm sorry to hear that! I usually incubate at 45% and lockdown at 65% and found that works well for me. Try that next time? Glad I could help! Sorry we couldn't get a happier ending..

Back
Top Bottom