Losing Chicks

Dlstid

Chirping
Aug 23, 2021
I ordered 15 mixed straight run bantam chicks from Meyers Hatchery and received them Wednesday. I am raising them like I did my first set I bought from a hatchery that was set up at or local co-op. The day I got them two were weak so I fed them egg yolk and water using a paint brush for a few hours. Those two died by the next morning. Friday morning I had 2 more dead, Saturday morning I had 2 more dead and today one more dead. They all look fine when I go to bed.
I am using a brooder plate.
Temp under it is 94-98 with 5 readings. Plenty of fresh food and water.medicated food. Seems to be all of the light grey and yellow birds. One was black and yellow. Everything is the same as my first set earlier this year and I lost 1 of those.
What is happening?

A little more info...when I check them there are 2-3 out from under the warmer eating and drinking. They have all been dead on their sides under and not under the heat plate.

Indoors and I'm the only one. Checked their vent and nothing wrong there. They do seem to have watery poo so I added electrolytes. Consulted a hatchery expert and he said this could just be weak chicks. Meyer Hatchery has been very responsive and mad mething right since I've lost 50% of my birds. I've checked them all multiple times and they seem okay. I'm hoping that is the end of it all. I'll know tomorrow afternoon.

In addition to the electrolytes I'd get some Poultry Nutri-Drench as well, and mix that into the water according to package directions. It helps with shipping stress and also perks up chicks a bit, which helps encourage them to eat and drink.

Indoors and I'm the only one. Checked their vent and nothing wrong there. They do seem to have watery poo so I added electrolytes. Consulted a hatchery expert and he said this could just be weak chicks. Meyer Hatchery has been very responsive and mad mething right since I've lost 50% of my birds. I've checked them all multiple times and they seem okay. I'm hoping that is the end of it all. I'll know tomorrow afternoon.
Read a post from another member who claims every chick out of their order died within a week after showing no symptoms of being sick and only one chick survived out of the replacement order .They all died the same way as the 1st batch.

@ChickensComeHome2Roost that's why I wanted to let them know about the additional chicks I lost. It could be important if there is a pattern. I don't want anyone to think I'm bad mouthing them but stuff happens and information is the only way they would know if there is an issue.

Back
Top Bottom