Loss of Balance in Hen

Kimu

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 25, 2018
Benicia, CA
Hello All,

I have a hen who has started having balance issues, and I'm hoping someone can help out! Here are the details:

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
She is a mille fleur bantam, 7 months old, and normal weight
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Loss of balance and listing to one side. She can get around and walk, but it is obvious she is extremely tipsy/dizzy.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Two weeks or so.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No - all other hens are completely normal.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
It gradually got worse, but I can't think of anything that may have caused this.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She does eat and drink, although I'm concerned about if she is getting enough to drink, because she has a hard time standing still. She follows the other hens around as best she can, and can fly up to a perch at night.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I gave Save-A-Chick in the flocks water (1 packet for 3 gallons), and this morning I gave her some baby bird food mix. But she does eat by herself (this was mostly in case of a vitamin deficiency).
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I can't find a vet in the area that will see a chicken, but can try and find someone again. Ideally I would like to treat myself.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Pine shavings, which have been cleaned recently. No moldy food, clean water (consistently), and fresh water and food daily.

I'm at a loss at what to do for this poor girl. I have also checked her ears for blockages and ear mites, have checked for mites in general, and see no issues. She doesn't have a runny nose, cough, or gaping. Anyone have any similar stories to mine?

Edit: The place where we got her claimed that "All chicks are treated for Mareks" so hopefully it isn't that :( I guess if it is she will continue to worsen.

Thanks so much,

Last edited:
I have never really had a problem with a chicken losing balance, and if I have it was showing other symptoms.

You said she was drinking a great deal? Maybe dehydration? Malnutrition? Maybe she does have a vitiation deficiency?

Here is a link that might help:
http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8000561

I'm not certain about any of these, maybe Marek's?

Mareks always comes to mind first with balance issues. I would try vitamins, but if she continues to worsen than I would figure it was Mareks unfortunately.

She's a little old for vitamin issues, depending on the feed. I agree about possible Marek's disease though. I'd think that a head injury would improve rather than get worse. Mouse poison available?
I do hope she improves, but if not, having a post mortem exam will clear up the mystery. If it is Marek's disease, you need to know.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom