Lost half my flock yesterday…

Salixx

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
Central Vermont
Two of my neighbor’s dogs went on a rampage yesterday, including killing 12 of my chickens and one duck. I have two other ducks that had to go to the vet for injuries and a chicken that I thought would die through the night that should have gone as well.

Two months ago, they killed a rooster in the night that I couldn’t get into the coop before I had to go to bed

One of the dogs charged my dad when he shot the ground the scare it and charged me the night it killed the rooster when I tried to run the pair off.

They also tried to kill another neighbor’s elderly dog. Minutes before my chickens.

They have repeatedly escaped my neighbors electric fence - something I didn’t know about and mistakenly thought the would address after the first incident.

Two of my hens are still missing, including one that was bothering 4 chicks and one duckling. The babies are still alive, thankfully.

The sheriff was called and was going to cite and fine them for each dog. I’m trying to come up with compensation they can pay… they offered but once the numbers come up people often sing a different tune once they get the vet costs, loss and also the loss in wages since I had to leave work.

I’m not really looking for advice. I’m deeply saddened by the loss of my birds and the quiet that has overcome the rest of the flock. My poor drake is alone for now, but the vet is very optimistic the two ducks I took to him will be fine. They have to be inside for a while during healing. I’m still a bit in shock and know others have gone through this. A Fox took one of my other ducks earlier this spring. I was sad about that but she was trying to feed her babies… the dogs just killed for fun. Im not mad at the dogs… but I am angry at the owners.

Thanks for reading

Predation is always horrible, but I can't imagine having to deal with your situation. I am sorry for your overwhelming losses.

With their history, it's a wonder these dogs -- who are just being unrestrained, untrained dogs -- are still alive. The owner's failure to keep them contained, especially if it costs the owner some significant cash, is likely to end badly for the dogs. Don't know what the laws are there, but in some places, the dogs could be euthanized. Or, the irresponsible owner could just decide to dump them at a shelter or by the side of the road to prevent future restitution costs. Some people should not be allowed to have pets.

Best wishes for your survivors! Keep us posted, please!

Thank you everyone. This morning is deafeningly quiet, usually my roosters are crowing and the hens are making a racket with their egg songs. Not a peep this morning.

I am sitting here reading this saddened, empathetic and outraged truth be told. Newbie soon-to-be chicken mamma here.

Yes, truly I hope you are compensated TO THE FULL. They are fortunate to have YOU as a neighbor. I believe my husband would have shot both of those predators.

I hope you follow up on restitution I don't care how much those folk attempt to back peddle. If the humans are not made to understand their responsibility in all this I fear you will be sharing future occurrences with us. Here is to healing for you and yiur dear flock

I am planning on finalizing the compensation this weekend. I am losing hope that the missing birds are still alive.

As for the dogs - the only reason my father, who is disabled on top of this, didn’t shoot them was because a different neighbor’s house was directly behind the dog. If not for a safe shot, they would already have a dead dog. I am located in Vermont where we are legally allowed to shoot dogs that are worrying livestock including poultry.

On a positive note, the two ducks I have in a large duck crate are getting better and seem in good spirits. One has a soft tissue injury and was limping. The other couldn’t walk at all due to a dislocated pelvis. The vet put it back in and she is now able to hobble around and stand like a normal duck.

Thought I would give a one week update.

My two injured ducks are on the mend. The one that had a dislocated pelvis is able to walk, though weakly. She seems in good spirits and has even laid an egg every day for the last 5 days. Both are still living in a crate in my house which has left my drake very lonely and my house quite stinky.

The silkie roo that was injured is still hanging in there. He is eating/drinking and able to stand up tall now. I can’t find a specific injury on his leg but the knee joint is swollen but less so that immediately following the attack.

My missing birds never returned. It’s possibly they are alive but I have lost hope. I didn’t realize it until last Saturday but two of my 5 week old Phoenix chicks were also missing. I found one dead outside the run with a puncture wound in its breast. I presume the other met the same fate.

In total, I lost 15 birds to this attack, 1 laying duck, 10 laying hens, two chicks and two roosters.

I sent a certified letter containing the damages to the dog owner. To this point, she has not bothered to collect it from the Post Office. I asked for a response by Monday for if she accepted the damages.
If I don’t hear from her then I guess I will have to proceed to small claims. Between the birds, the almost ready to hatch duck eggs, the loss in egg production and the vet bill… I’ve asked for no small number but did including an itemized list for how I achieved the number I did.

I didn’t ask for compensation for the extra time it’s taken caring for injured birds and raising new chicks/ducklings, or the emotional damages it has caused.

This weekend we’ll begin building a new coop and run that will be much closer to our house and almost directly outside our main entrance to the house. I’m in the process of researching electric fencing as I have no doubt I’ll be seeing those dogs again.

Two of my neighbor’s dogs went on a rampage yesterday, including killing 12 of my chickens and one duck. I have two other ducks that had to go to the vet for injuries and a chicken that I thought would die through the night that should have gone as well.

Two months ago, they killed a rooster in the night that I couldn’t get into the coop before I had to go to bed

One of the dogs charged my dad when he shot the ground the scare it and charged me the night it killed the rooster when I tried to run the pair off.

They also tried to kill another neighbor’s elderly dog. Minutes before my chickens.

They have repeatedly escaped my neighbors electric fence - something I didn’t know about and mistakenly thought the would address after the first incident.

Two of my hens are still missing, including one that was bothering 4 chicks and one duckling. The babies are still alive, thankfully.

The sheriff was called and was going to cite and fine them for each dog. I’m trying to come up with compensation they can pay… they offered but once the numbers come up people often sing a different tune once they get the vet costs, loss and also the loss in wages since I had to leave work.

I’m not really looking for advice. I’m deeply saddened by the loss of my birds and the quiet that has overcome the rest of the flock. My poor drake is alone for now, but the vet is very optimistic the two ducks I took to him will be fine. They have to be inside for a while during healing. I’m still a bit in shock and know others have gone through this. A Fox took one of my other ducks earlier this spring. I was sad about that but she was trying to feed her babies… the dogs just killed for fun. Im not mad at the dogs… but I am angry at the owners.

Thanks for reading
:hugs :hugs

I’m sorry for your loss! As a dog owner myself, I always take precautions. I don’t understand why I’m reading so many of these. I mean I do but it seems like a lot of dog owners just let their dogs go. You get caught not having your dogs on a leash it’s a hearty fine, if they get out and run a muck in town it’s worse. And if they even bit another person or animal they get taken for 24 hours and each time the time gets longer and eventually bad enough they get out down. I think these dogs need more than a hot wire fence. I know it wouldn’t effect my Rottweiler or Husky. And it’s sad that these owners are taking and doing more responsible things to keep the dogs where they need to be.

I am losing hope that the missing birds are still alive.
:hugs I'm really sorry to hear of your traumatic experience; something similar but less devastating happened here earlier in the week. But a hen I had given up on reappeared yesterday teatime; she'd never slept out before or hidden nests, so I assumed she was dead, but no, she was just hiding somewhere, maybe in shock for 3 days. And the flock that was so quiet, like yours, is back to normal now. I think they get over it quicker than we do.

Back
Top Bottom