Lost one baby, but saved the second!

LizzzyJo

Show me the data 👩🏼‍🔬
5 Years
Dec 14, 2018
The Great Black Swamp, Ohio
I'm just feeling a huge range of emotions right now and thought I would share. My babies were hatched on Monday night. Unfortunately, my appenzeller spitzhauben (whose arrival I have been joyfully awaiting) failed the thrive. She never truly woke up enough to eat or drink (no signs of illness). I got some grogel into her beak and gave her water by hand, but it was never enough. She passed Thursday night. Absolutely heartbroken, I turned my attention to my exchequer leghorn who began to show similar symptoms. She had been functioning, but turned lethargic on Thursday. I fed water and grogel every hour. I was crazy about the temperature and kept the others away from her (6 other very healthy chicks).

Well - as of this morning and ALL DAY today she has been eating, drinking, and playing! I am exhausted and relieved. All other babies are growing well, playing chick games, and eating me out of house and home. No signs of lethargy or illness.

Noone else in my life quite understands the investment we make when we raise baby chicks and how they can be so meaningful to us so quickly. So, thank you for listening!

The grey one is the one that passed and the yellow is the one happily peeping away in the brooder right now :love
IMG_9749.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom