Loud birds

AlexEve

Chirping
May 9, 2020
Calgary, Alberta
Hi all. One of my hens has been making an extremely annoying noise this afternoon. It’s a long drawn out call that she’ll do a few times every minute, even when I’m not around. She’s starting to be really loud, which isn’t great for my neighbours. She doesn’t do this every day, but frequent enough to be really annoying. I don’t think it relates to laying as she hasn’t laid in a few days, and also was doing this while she was laying. Is there a way I can shut her up or at least make her more quiet?

Hi all. One of my hens has been making an extremely annoying noise this afternoon. It’s a long drawn out call that she’ll do a few times every minute, even when I’m not around. She’s starting to be really loud, which isn’t great for my neighbours. She doesn’t do this every day, but frequent enough to be really annoying. I don’t think it relates to laying as she hasn’t laid in a few days, and also was doing this while she was laying. Is there a way I can shut her up or at least make her more quiet?
Not really. Chickens are vocal animals and are constantly communicating with each other and themselves.

When I use to live with close neighbors, and became conscious of the noise the pullets as they matured, I stopped giving the chickens any treats, and filled up their food pellets once they were asleep. I found they were making noise when I was in the yard 'begging' for food. Once they stopped associating me with food as much, they stopped making as much noise.

Also-remember that you are probably more conscious of the noise than the neighbors were. People have dogs, tvs, kids, washing machines etc. After I was so nervous everyone hated us, I found out my next door neighbor did;t know we had chickens until we moved!

But like Rosemarythyme said, some are just noisy or become noisy over time. One of my Easter Eggers was silent until two months ago, and now 'croaks' loudly for all to hear!

Also-remember that you are probably more conscious of the noise than the neighbors were. People have dogs, tvs, kids, washing machines etc. After I was so nervous everyone hated us, I found out my next door neighbor did;t know we had chickens until we moved!

When I ended up with a rooster in town I discovered that one neighbor had grown up on a farm and liked to hear him crow while the other neighbor figured that if we didn't mind their muscle car they didn't mind our rooster. :D

In town is NOISY and chickens are a lot less disruptive than people's stereos blasting, motorcycles revving, kids squabbling, etc.

My friend has 14 hens of 3 age groups, and one of them is strikingly high-volume and more vocal than all the others. She is so LOUD 😆 I gave her a name: The Voice. It always makes me smile to hear her, and I'm thankful being cheered up by her so often and reliable 😂
She is in the oldest group.

I have 4 roosters right now and two Pekin ducks, all noisy at the same time sometimes. I look out my window and don't see anything wrong but all the chickens and ducks appear to be on high alert and staring at the sky so I think they saw a hawk or the owl that lives in my neighborhood fly by and are sounding the alarm. I also notice that the doves and song birds that hang around my yard have flown away. So I don't get upset when they all sound off like that, it is a protective gesture.

Back
Top Bottom