Low rent, I mean, 'modest' hen house photos, please

Kansaseq

Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
NE Kansas
Wow, you guys and gals have some fabulous housing for your birds.
Some are nicer than the house I live in (and I'm only half kidding!). I'd like to see some of the more modest chicken houses out there, adapted from dog houses, found materials, etc, or just funky, unusual chicken homes. I'm starting a remodel on a neighbor's donated shed tomorrow, and I'd like some ideas. Thanks!
22798_futher_henhouse.jpg

Last edited:
That shed will make a great hen house. I see some of the coops on this website that look like works of art. The chickens don't know or care what the coop looks like. As long as it works that is what counts.

How people get away with building chicken coops without drawing the attention of building and zoning inspectors is beyond me. I suspect a lot of these people live in rural circumstances.

I can't bang a hammer on anything without getting a visit from the city inspector.

Good Luck with the coop.

Rufus

that coop looks great! i'll be having a bunch of coops & pens from dog houses i'm getting from a friend along with an old smokehouse we'll be moving to the other side of the yard (by hand. ouch... at least all my friends are guys and i'm just as strong as they are!)

no pics yet though! that little shed thing looks PERFECT! i wish i could find something like that!

The shed looks like it will make a fine chicken coop . Put a window in with screen behind it , and a door on , slap a coat of paint on there or some colored metal and ta da !

Oh and you could add a lil fancy porch on the front and a window box below the window with some flowers too if you would like . It would look good but , hehe just kidding
smile.png

Quote:
Yea, the roof has been torn off, and the whole thing is dismantled and awaiting refurbishing. I'm toying with the idea of the translucent corrugated plastic stuff for a roof. I like the idea of having more natural light.
It's a little bigger than my current henhouse (an odd, long doghouse) and will be easier to clean. I'll probably just have two. Then I can have a breeding pen
smile.png

I am saying the hens wont care as long as they can stay dry and warm. Turn the door to where the wind doesnt blow straight into it all the time. Our wind usually comes from the same direction. So I like to position things with openings away from that direction. A cheap tarp can be put on the top.
All that need is a stick for a roost and a box, bucket for a nest box.

Living in Kansas, you'll need interior walls of some sort with insulation under it. You'll also need lots of ventilation at the top. Plan on two windows or a window/door combination for cross ventilation. Cover any window or door window that will be open with 1/4-inch hardware cloth. Plan for a drop board under the roost.
Are you SURE that you wouldn't be better off just building a new coop from the start; it might be cheaper.

Quote:
Yea, the roof has been torn off, and the whole thing is dismantled and awaiting refurbishing. I'm toying with the idea of the translucent corrugated plastic stuff for a roof. I like the idea of having more natural light.
It's a little bigger than my current henhouse (an odd, long doghouse) and will be easier to clean. I'll probably just have two. Then I can have a breeding pen
smile.png

"just the 2"....
lol.png
we all been there...

You probably better putting in a window rather than the whole clear roof, a well placed window will warm the coop in certain time of the day while clear roof will probably overheat the whole thing in summer.

Back
Top Bottom