made a small chick pen

vsmenagerie

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2011
MT
Which Im hoping to convert into a tractor for the meat birds later on!

Right now, its 4' x 4' but its expandable, and I have two more panels almost ready to go
big_smile.png
We plan on making a few more for the top of the run. I Just need to get some plywood or something to make a house at the end. I figured for a chick area for right now though, not too bad!

3946dd44.jpg

good job!
thumbsup.gif

I wish I had something like this for my 4 new EE chicks. They're about 3 weeks old and already terrorizing my garden when we let them out in the backayrd in the morning. They're ok in the brooder inside the house but when I let them out it would be good to keep them somewhat contained.

I'm building one of those right now!! It's nice to see one finished honestly. My drill is making me angry
barnie.gif
, so your photo is inspiring me to keep on keeping on.
woot.gif

The one I'm building is 4' x 6' and 4 ft high. I only have 3 girls and they're about a 6 weeks old. I'm hoping it will keep them happy until their coop is finished. So, whenever I finish the coop I hope to just expand it and repurpose it into their run. We'll see!

I hope it is
smile.png
Obviously the top isnt super predator proof at the moment, but they are only going to be in it for short periods of time, with me and the kids checking on them. The sides are welded wire, with two layers about 6" up, though I may add a little more to that, Im not sure yet. There will also be some wire added to the bottom, that will sit on the ground, to deter digging. When the meat birds go in it, I will have it in my fenced off garden area, so the pen will be surrounded by 6' tall welded wire as well.

frosthazard, I probably spent about $40, if that, for this, and that is including the two other 4' long panels to make it 4x8 and the box of screws and staples. Might go up to around $50 or so, once I buy more wood to make a small house. I used 2x2 furring strips, which run about $1.85 for an 8 footer. And the wire was $35 for 50'.

Back
Top Bottom