Made in China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only that. Off the coast of Florida near Cuba, the Cubans leased the Chinese drilling rights to drill for oil. But Florida environmentalists have so far prevented us from doing that.
Well, like the apples, we can eventually buy our oil from China

Quote:
What countries today show us much friendship I was referring to the people not the goverment they do not trust us they believe were war mongers trying to go around the world and conquer, China surprised me \ hey still have air raids there I ask why and the people told me because of America this is probally has a lot to do with propaganda.

I try to buy American and want to buy local but it is extremely difficult. With rising costs and a recession it will get even harder since American made is generally more expensive than the cheap Chinese stuff.

I was at a craft/home accessories store a few months ago with my mother and aunt. I noticed almost everything in the store was made in China. I commented on it and the response from my mother was something about NAFTA. I don't know why but it pushed a button and I went off about it not being NAFTA and that this store represented a loss of American jobs.

We aren't willing to pay the price so we get what we pay for and can't see the long term effects.

My Japanese truck is made in the USA. I had an American truck that was made in Mexico. I had an American minivan that was made in Canada. I had an American car with a VW made engine. It goes on and on.

Food. If you buy fresh fruits and vegetables out of season where do you think they come from? If you buy the same and they aren't grown in the USA where do you think they come from?

This also leads into oil products. Better stop.

Quote:
I'm sooo sorry this happened. Heartbreaking, the poisoning of our pets. I was feeding my cats food on the recall list. They developed some health problems but thankfully are still with me.

Too many dangerous products coming out of China, many mentioned in this thread. I'll add another - the recent news about tainted Chinese products in prescription drugs. Scary. How else to show rejection of poor quality if we don't boycott? I'm guilty of buying some things from China when I can't find a substitute when needed but I am going to try harder to be more resourceful.

The most heartbreaking China "products" story I have ever seen was shown on Dateline NBC on 12/15/98. Millions of dogs and cats are brutally skinned ALIVE every year in China and their coats used to make clothing and other stuff and then sold in the US and other countries falsely marketed on the labels as other animals (not that other animals would be better). To see these animals screaming in agony while the others were made to watch till it was their turn was/is heartwrenching and still causes sleepless nights (the video shown on Dateline was filmed by an undercover person working for the Humane Society - he had to endure the unbearable to get the footage - I would have thrown myself between the knife and the first animal in line and would not have lived to tell the story!). We in the US create a market for this stuff by selling it in our stores (Burlington Coat Factory was one but once they were advised what China was doing, they banned the items). Via a sequence of several letters, I tried to convince Oprah to do a followup story to provide people with info about how they could help make a difference (Dateline did not take it that far) but I was unsuccessful. After this story hit, we did pass a law in NJ banning the sale of items made from dog and cat fur. Tried to get the same done on the federal level (so every state wouldn't have to take individual action) but there was little Congressional interest.

While I feel badly for those in China who are ethical and kind-hearted, a stand against cruelty, toxics etc. coming out of that country is so crucial. Things are unlikely to improve otherwise. Boycott of product is one of the ways we can have an impact.
JJ

Last edited:
I found a beautiful set of salt, pepper, oil, vinegar cruet, sugar container and crushed pepper shaker. Bought it for $3, brought it home, admired it and then saw the sticker on the bottom that said Made In China. <sighh> Now I will have to wait and buy a lead testing kit to find out if I will ever use it!
hit.gif

The dynamics of international trade are very very complex and I think any of us would have a very hard time understanding why so much product is imported into the US. It's a function of international business (especially professional services) and the need to liquidate foreign currencies back into native ones. So, let's all agree at least that no one in China is to 'blame' for anything.
big_smile.png

In the long run, I strongly agree with those giving some ideas of how to avoid buying cheap imported merchandise.

I have stepped into a Wal Mart only once in my life, and it was because I was desperate and had to use the toilet. How we spend our money GREATLY affects the world in which we live, more than anything else (2/3 of the US economy is consumer spending remember). So shop conscientiously, rather than always looking for the cheapest price on every single item in your life. Think of the things which you could get higher quality which are produced locally or within the US and make a point of seeking them out.

My personal consolance is that things are so bad now, as far as oru addiction to cheap junk merchandise, that there has to be a blow-back someday in which the pendelum will swing and people will once again seek out the products of skilled workers and craftsmen.

I have a funny comment...... I'm in a technology class at school. We needed 9 volt batteries to run our cars.... We bought... (Brand) made in china. They died the first use. then we had to get (Brand) Made in USA. And they are still working a Week later
tongue.png

The problem began when China was given the "most favorable" status by the US Government (Clinton). That is when the dumping began.

I was looking at air conditioners made in China; they were on sale for $84.00. I don't think you could even ship then over here for that price.

Unions exacerbate the problem. As they demand more and more in wages and fringe benefits, they drive industry out out our country. They kill the goose that lays the golden egg. Eventually, manufacturing becomes unprofitable.

Then the investors look for ways to save their capital. When the company gets sold, it is usually Chinese money that buys it. They get the equipment, patents and the American name.

Within a few years, the factory is moved overseas.

When ever I eat out, I always look at the silverware, which really is only stainless now, to see where it is made. I haven't see "Made in the USA" since the 1960's. It is all made in China, Indonesia or Taiwan. And those folks don't even use the stuff, they use chop sticks.

It is better to buy something used in the second hand shop than to buy something new made in China.

Rufus

jjthink and seminolewind,

Thanks for the sympathies regarding my lost kitties. It was a heartbreaking and expensive time. I actually agonized and researched and even called pet food manufacturers when I made the decision to buy Natural Balance cat and dog food. I didn't just randomly choose that product. I got a 100% guarantee from a Natural Balance representative that my pets would absolutely not get sick using their product.

Within hours of eating the food, my 23 year old cat was dead and within a week my 22 year old was also dead. My three year old suffered permanent kidney damage, but he is still alive. He will always need extra medical care and special food and he is in early stage renal failure.

Fortunately my three dogs did not get a tainted batch.

What did Natural Balance do? Nothing. They claimed that my cats died of old age and that it wasn't their fault.

The financial cost to me was huge. I had to pay to have the E-vet euthanize the first cat to die and then pay for a necropsy. The second cat I thought might make it and started to recover after about $800.00 in tests, supportive care (including my learning to give him sub-q fluids, force feeding him, and treating him with slippery elm bark for his mouth ulcers). His kidneys then completely failed and he was euthanized.

The cat who lived became very sick and urinated and defecated all over my furniture for weeks. He underwent several kidney flushes and antibiotic treatments and spent weeks in veterinary ICU. His total medical costs were about $1800.00. He still need frequent vet visits and the speciality food.

I had the dogs all tested for signs of kidney failure several times over a 2-3 month period at a cost of several hundred dollars.

That well-researched choice cost me dearly--Not to mention the emotional toll it took. The oldest cat I received as a high school graduation present from my brother when I was in high school. I'm 44 years old now! The other one I rescued as an older, healthy adult when he was 16.

Unfortunately, the problem doesn't just lie in dog food and childrens toys. I recently lost my older dog suddenly - I haven't investigated whether it was due to food.

There have been instances where infant formula (used in China) was made with substitutions to ingredients, rendering it non-nutritious. It is a sad sad thing. China is not out to get the US, they're just doing what everyone else is doing, only cutting more corners.

As mentioned before, we drove our own manufacturing out - hardly a thing is manufactured here due to years of union demands. Does anyone realize how hurtful to our own economy we have been for years? Now, even customer service is outsourced. As a nation, we tend to place blame on anyone but ourselves. Jobs are outsourced because there aren't qualified people here to take the jobs - and we STILL continue to cut education funds.

We're in this mess (as well as the rest of the world) because of personal greed. Everyone wants to make the most profit while spending the least.

I am an American born Chinese - it's just really sad all of this is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom