Maggots for impacted crop?

Cozieboy101

Hatching
Sep 24, 2023
Hi.
My 1st.post here, don't even know if this is the right place to post this but anyway........hi to everyone.
We've had a hen with impacted crop for over a week now and have tried everything google has come up with: Liquid Paraffin/massaging, Cellulase Enzyme/massaging, Dulcolax/massaging etc,etc.
Have seen a few suggestions claiming maggots work so I have ordered half a pint of white pinkie maggots from the bait shop.
My question is: how long would maggots live in a crop? Don't they need oxygen to survive?
Does the crop contain a little bit of air?
How is it possible they can survive in a crop to eat through the blockage?
We really can't afford the Vets and we love this little girl to bits so all my hopes are pinned on this working.
Thanks.x

Hi.
My 1st.post here, don't even know if this is the right place to post this but anyway........hi to everyone.
We've had a hen with impacted crop for over a week now and have tried everything google has come up with: Liquid Paraffin/massaging, Cellulase Enzyme/massaging, Dulcolax/massaging etc,etc.
Have seen a few suggestions claiming maggots work so I have ordered half a pint of white pinkie maggots from the bait shop.
My question is: how long would maggots live in a crop? Don't they need oxygen to survive?
Does the crop contain a little bit of air?
How is it possible they can survive in a crop to eat through the blockage?
We really can't afford the Vets and we love this little girl to bits so all my hopes are pinned on this working.
Thanks.x
Welcome to BYC!! :frow

I would post it here for more help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

Here is a great article on crop issues:

This thread has more common advice for crop problems than using maggots:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Can you tell us how old she is? Is she laying eggs? Worming would be something that might help if her crop is slowing down due to worms. What are you feeding her,,and do you provide granite poultry grit in a container near where they eat?
Hiya.
She is a year and a half old and the whole Flock have just recently been wormed.
She hasn't.laid in a while (I put that down to moulting) usually they are on Layer pellets but with lots of treats, apples, sweetcorn, sunflower seeds.
Right now tho she's separated from the rest of the Flock to keep her from the pellets and from eating Grass. I've been giving her scrambled egg and protein shakes as food and have tried Paraffin oil, coconut oil and dalcolax, also tried enzyme supplements that contain cellulase. She has ACV in her water every other day.

Back
Top Bottom