Making Funny Noises

Dallas15

Hatching
Jul 20, 2015
My hubby and I are new to owning chickens. One of our hens (we have 6) started making what we thought was a "sighing" or very mild wheezing noise. It started 4 nights ago. We've observed her. She eats, drinks, and poops. Her poop was a little watery (I had just fed the whole flock frozen grapes) as was some of the other girls. Her poop seems to be normal now. We have tried palpating her throat, stomach, and whole body to see if something was lodged or if she was injured. We gave her bread soaked in olive oil to help. We have squirted water down her throat to see if that would help. She quickly became crackly in her breath sounds after (we were so scared we made her aspirate), but resolved quickly (within 5 minutes). She doesn't make the noise always. However, we live in an area where we are experiencing 100+degree weather. We have a roof with ventilation over their run, added a fan during the day (as of yesterday), placed them in a more shaded area of the backyard, and added apple cider vinegar to the water to help boost their immune system. I purchased VetRX and sprayed all of the girls last night and her again today. It's not constant like it was and wondered if the heat could be responsible? She started screeching occasionally today too. Almost as if she's clearing her throat. She has no other symptoms, her body, head, comb, eyes, ears, nostrils are all within normal limits. No foul smells, and since its summer we know laying can be inconsistent but she laid an egg for sure two days ago (we hadn't been getting 6 eggs everyday anyways). We are lost on what to do next except just watch her. She sleeps well, and is not withdrawn from the flock. We also tried holding her upside down today and massaging her stomach to see if she was impacted. There was no discharge from her mouth and she honestly just seemed annoyed. Like I said, we are new to this but we don't think it's an infection. No other girls are making this noise and it may be something they do sometimes but if it is an issue we want to help her so she isn't suffering. We're just a little out of our element and need help. We also don't like shoving antibiotics or unnecessary medications down or in them. We desire holistic approaches first then will do what's necessary.

Welcome to BYC. Sometimes a video posted to YouTube with a link posted her can help us see and hear what you are seeing. If she makes this noise a lot, it could be sneezing or stridor from mucus in her throat. Infectious bronchitis (IB) and other respiratory diseases such as MG, ILT, coryza, and aspergillosis can be common. IB symptoms are sneezing, runny nose with clear secretions, decreased laying, and it may affect up to 100% of your flock. I would not try to vomit her or use oil again, since those things can be dangerous, and they are used with crop problems. She probably has a respiratory infection, or maybe just a piece of food lodged in her airway. Here is a good link to read about symptoms of common respiratory diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Welcome to BYC. I would bring her inside where you can watch her better. Also 100 is too hot for a stressed chick.
Also quarantine is good idea in case she is contagious.
I don't have any experience with respiratory but maybe someone else will answer.
Electrolyte would be helpful in the heat.

Your post is Very good with all the pertinent info.

Welcome to BYC. Sometimes a video posted to YouTube with a link posted her can help us see and hear what you are seeing. If she makes this noise a lot, it could be sneezing or stridor from mucus in her throat. Infectious bronchitis (IB) and other respiratory diseases such as MG, ILT, coryza, and aspergillosis can be common. IB symptoms are sneezing, runny nose with clear secretions, decreased laying, and it may affect up to 100% of your flock. I would not try to vomit her or use oil again, since those things can be dangerous, and they are used with crop problems. She probably has a respiratory infection, or maybe just a piece of food lodged in her airway. Here is a good link to read about symptoms of common respiratory diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you for your quick and knowledgable feedback! I have read common respiratory diseases over and over but she doesn't have the major symptoms except odd breathing. The level of the noise and frequency has decreased over the last two days and seems to only be heard when exerted. She started making her normal cackling noises yesterday as well. If something is lodged would she still eat, drink, and poop normal? If this is the case, something lodged, what do you do? My husband is going to our local Farmers Co-op tomorrow to show them our videos. I will try to post one to you tube and link it here. Thank you again!

Welcome to BYC. I would bring her inside where you can watch her better. Also 100 is too hot for a stressed chick.
Also quarantine is good idea in case she is contagious.
I don't have any experience with respiratory but maybe someone else will answer.
Electrolyte would be helpful in the heat.

Your post is Very good with all the pertinent info.

Thank you so much for your feedback and encouragement. My husband and I are both nurses and are trained to prevent prevent prevent! We transported the girls in a dog carrier and clothes hamper. Like I said we are new. We don't really know where to isolate her to? We have a covered back porch but the garage is out of the question due to weather. We can't bring her inside bc we have a weenie dog who we will not leave them together unattended. Do we put her in the dog crate on the back porch, and until when? She's making good progress we are just fearful we are either missing something or maybe we're over exaggerating? We just want to be safe, responsible, and give these girls the best quality of life. :)

Thank you so much for your feedback and encouragement. My husband and I are both nurses and are trained to prevent prevent prevent! We transported the girls in a dog carrier and clothes hamper. Like I said we are new. We don't really know where to isolate her to? We have a covered back porch but the garage is out of the question due to weather. We can't bring her inside bc we have a weenie dog who we will not leave them together unattended. Do we put her in the dog crate on the back porch, and until when? She's making good progress we are just fearful we are either missing something or maybe we're over exaggerating? We just want to be safe, responsible, and give these girls the best quality of life. :)

Dog crate is perfect. I have some chicks down with coccidia and I'm using a kiddie pool. It is easy to get at them for feeding and clean up. Hopefully they will be up soon and need a roof!

Hoping yours is better soon too

Dog crate is perfect. I have some chicks down with coccidia and I'm using a kiddie pool. It is easy to get at them for feeding and clean up. Hopefully they will be up soon and need a roof!

Hoping yours is better soon too

Thank you so much and yours as well :)

Back
Top Bottom