Making your own dog food.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hannakat, Jul 28, 2011.

1. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    I started making my dog's food a few years ago after he began having gastritis. There were additional benefits, such as no more smelly gas emissions and a nicer coat. Making treats is great too since I can control what's in them and the size.

Just wondering if there's anyone else here that does this.

2. coreybee

coreybee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Nottingham, PA
    I'm a raw feeder. Have been for over 5 years. So I guess you could say I make my own. I too like the knowledge of what exactly my dogs are eating. They are healthier, teeth are cleaner, they have more muscle mass, are leaner, more energy, and they poop a whole lot less than when they were on kibble. I don't think I will ever feed kibble again.

3. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    I looked into raw long and hard and actually do give them raw chicken wings (!) regularly for teeth cleaning!

My little Chiweeni (part chihuahua / part dachshund) did help herself to one of my younger chickens last summer.... don't think that counts though. [​IMG]

4. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    We feed TOTW dry food, Wellness wet food, and supplement with raw. I definitely want to go 100% raw eventually. I am super excited because I finally made an appt. with an integrative vet. He is a huge advocate of raw, so it will be awesome FINALLY talking to a vet who supports a more natural life style for my pets. My old conventional vet and I did not see eye to eye on any level, so this will be a dream come true for me. I am also hoping he will know of some butchers that could help us out. I have never tried homemade, but that is certainly a great choice. I just like the simplicity of raw, and the fact that I know that this is what they were always meant to eat.

5. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Quote:Lol! Sorry, that comment struck me as funny [​IMG] hehe. How do you make your own dog food? Would you be willing to share your recipe?

6. AuroraSprings

AuroraSprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I have started trying to sell duck & rabbit meat to raw feeders, not much luck yet. Are these "off-limit" meats to most feeders?

7. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:duck and rabbit are LOVED raw food. do a search for a RAW food co-op in your area. There are also yahoo groups sorted by area.

8. coreybee

coreybee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Nottingham, PA
    Quote:If you were close I would definitely buy from you! I will be starting with rabbits next year to supplement what I currently get from the butcher. I prefer to keep my dog on more of a prey based diet, but it's hard when you shop at the butcher.

9. clanreed

clanreed Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Valleyford, WA
    We have been feeding raw to the cats and dogs for about 7 years now. Wouldn't do it any other way. Here is a photo of my old boy Max enjoying his meal.
    [​IMG]

~Shannon

10. clanreed

clanreed Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Valleyford, WA
    Quote:There is a yahoo group called Carnivore Feed Supplier http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/CarnivoreFeed-Supplier/ , that you could post on to find out if there is any interest in your area. I would jump at the chance of getting duck or rabbit. Rabbit is very popular with raw feeders, because of its edible bone.

~Shannon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by