Making your own dog food.

hannakat

Songster
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Beaver County, PA
I started making my dog's food a few years ago after he began having gastritis. There were additional benefits, such as no more smelly gas emissions and a nicer coat. Making treats is great too since I can control what's in them and the size.

Just wondering if there's anyone else here that does this.

I'm a raw feeder. Have been for over 5 years. So I guess you could say I make my own. I too like the knowledge of what exactly my dogs are eating. They are healthier, teeth are cleaner, they have more muscle mass, are leaner, more energy, and they poop a whole lot less than when they were on kibble. I don't think I will ever feed kibble again.

I looked into raw long and hard and actually do give them raw chicken wings (!) regularly for teeth cleaning!

My little Chiweeni (part chihuahua / part dachshund) did help herself to one of my younger chickens last summer.... don't think that counts though.
big_smile.png

We feed TOTW dry food, Wellness wet food, and supplement with raw. I definitely want to go 100% raw eventually. I am super excited because I finally made an appt. with an integrative vet. He is a huge advocate of raw, so it will be awesome FINALLY talking to a vet who supports a more natural life style for my pets. My old conventional vet and I did not see eye to eye on any level, so this will be a dream come true for me. I am also hoping he will know of some butchers that could help us out. I have never tried homemade, but that is certainly a great choice. I just like the simplicity of raw, and the fact that I know that this is what they were always meant to eat.

Quote:
duck and rabbit are LOVED raw food. do a search for a RAW food co-op in your area. There are also yahoo groups sorted by area.

Quote:
If you were close I would definitely buy from you! I will be starting with rabbits next year to supplement what I currently get from the butcher. I prefer to keep my dog on more of a prey based diet, but it's hard when you shop at the butcher.

We have been feeding raw to the cats and dogs for about 7 years now. Wouldn't do it any other way. Here is a photo of my old boy Max enjoying his meal.
Maxchicken-1.jpg

~Shannon

Back
Top Bottom