0ddaudd

Chirping
Jan 10, 2020
Hello ! So about a year ago I got two Rhode Island Red hens and a Pekin duck. They grew up peacefully and it wasn’t until recently that he (Eli) tried mating with my hens ! So i rescued a little 1 year old female duck in hopes it would calm him down. The rescuer unfortunately didn’t know what breed she is but assumed she was mixed. It’s day two now and he seems to be completely indifferent about her. The chickens like her. But Eli is STILL trying to mate with my hens. I’ve moved him to a separate run to ease my chickens but i’m not sure what to do now. Did I just get a female for no reason ? Does it have to do with the fact that she’s not a pekin ? Or that shes a little smaller ? Or do I need to put them in a run together to let them get use to each other for awhile ?
Thanks !
(ive included pics of both Elly (the black female duck. And Eli (the male pekin) (It’s pool cleaning day haha, excuse the dirty pool)
9980186B-0362-486C-8D30-34227992E0AD.jpeg

Breed won't matter to him. Hate that he's mating your hens, that can be very dangerous, even deadly to the chickens. They aren't made for actual penetration like a Drake offers.
Best way to solve that problem will be to keep him separated from the chickens from now on. Once they view the chickens as possible mates, it's hard to break, even if he is also mating the duck.
As long as he's not beating the female duck up, or keeping her from the food and water, there's no reason why they couldn't be penned together. Hopefully closer quarters will make them more comfortable with each other.

I had a boy duck who used to mate chickens and a bunny I had, we got him a girl duck named "Debby", he still wanted the hens. I then moved the ducks to a pen. The drake then mated the girl duck, and he got so bad with her, soon, I took her out of the pen and let him be by himself.

You've done right separating the male Pekin from the chickens. You're going to have to keep them that way from now on. I think that if you are patient after a few days your Pekin and girl duck will start getting along really well. You'll probably end up having to separate them if he's too rough on the little girl. Have you thought about getting a couple more girls for him?

You've done right separating the male Pekin from the chickens. You're going to have to keep them that way from now on. I think that if you are patient after a few days your Pekin and girl duck will start getting along really well. You'll probably end up having to separate them if he's too rough on the little girl. Have you thought about getting a couple more girls for him?
yes I have thought about getting a few more females actually !

Back
Top Bottom