Pics

Laura szarkowicz

Chirping
Jun 12, 2017
We found our duck by the pond in the morning and he was all bloody. He let us just walk right up to him and pick him up. We found that it appears his foot may have been attacked by a snapping turtle. One of his little toes are broken and the bleeding did stop. We have soaked his foot in epsom salt, rinsed with peroxide, put a small amount of neosporin on and wrapped with gauze and waterproof tape. His bandages get changed once a day along with an epsom salt soak. Does anyone have any other ideas we coud or should do? Should we use antibiotics? Vet is not an option. He still eats, drinks and cleans. He is currently placed in a "hospital pin" in the garage with clean water, food and his favorite snack: watermelon.

Attachments

• IMG_1135.JPG
    IMG_1135.JPG
    363.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1143.JPG
    IMG_1143.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1146.JPG
    IMG_1146.JPG
    337.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1149.JPG
    IMG_1149.JPG
    710 KB · Views: 75
Took him outside and let him swim in a little pool.. he loved it and I know he can't wait to go back out to the pond when he gets better.. also, I believe maybe some of the swelling is from him not using it? He still has trouble walking on it right now but I'm the pool he was swimming and cleaning himself and just having fun with his outside siblings... he's about to get his epsom soak and dressings.. we are trying the vet wrap tonight.. but he has been smart and found ways to take off his wraps

Attachments

• IMG_1347.JPG
    IMG_1347.JPG
    909.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1353.JPG
    IMG_1353.JPG
    735.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1358.JPG
    IMG_1358.JPG
    485.5 KB · Views: 8
His name is skipper!) they were named after Gilligan Island characters so there is skipper, thurston (he's somewhat picky on his treats), Gilligan (hurt his leg and was clumsy for a while and still trips over himself) and professor (he watches the surroundings while everyone else eats there treats and then eats some himself)..
and then we have 6 hens and named 4 after the Golden Girls Blanche, Rose, Sophia and Dorothy and then the other two are Mrytle and Mayzie

Haha! I love it, especially since the names seem to fit so well!
And hopefully your hens will live to be old ladies, like the Golden Girls too :D

From last night.. he is super sneaky and learned, again, how to pull his gauze out. Swelling in the leg has gone down.. his ankle doesn't feel so hard and the temp on the foot has gone down. Just bought him and his siblings an 11lb bag of mealworms and they came in yesterday... they couldn't eat a handful fast enough!!! His little toe to the right is swollen but we are still so super hopeful. Anf finally, the blu kite is coming off.. slowly, but still lol. As for the clear iodine, how much does everyone usually use? Ours came with this plastic stick applicator so I just poured a little over his wounds and then wrapped him up.

I usually just use the applicator, but for a big area I would use a piece of gauze and just put it over the open top of the bottle, tip it down for a quick wetting and wipe it all down with that...

casportpony has published threads on antibiotics and dosages. Infection is an issue with turtle bites. The wound needs plenty of air to reduce risk of gangrene.

There is a new law restricting access to antibiotics. A vet would be best. Aside from that you may need to get creative, since staying ahead of infection is critical.

Last edited:
Everyone please remember to be helpful to the OP. You can all give your advice but it is up to the receiver to take what they need from it. Please do not argue amongst each other. That is not helpful.

@Laura szarkowicz , there is a POST at the top of the emergency section you might find helpful.
It says in part
Remember that we are not veterinarians. We help based on our own research and experiences.
We cannot monitor the board 24/7, and therefore do not guarantee we can always help, much as we would wish to.
We should never be a replacement if real medical attention is required.
If your situation seems to require a trip to the vet, please do so. It is always a good idea to know of an avian vet in your area in case your situation is bad enough that we cannot help. We encourage you to visit the Reference Forum and read up there before you need the information.

Everyone here is giving your the best advice they have, but only you have the details of the issue at hand and must make the determination of what is best for your duck.

If you have an avian vet nearby, I recommend that you at least call for advice as to whether you should take your duck in for a look.
Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom