Mangled Duck Foot

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Laura szarkowicz, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Laura szarkowicz

Laura szarkowicz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2017
    We found our duck by the pond in the morning and he was all bloody. He let us just walk right up to him and pick him up. We found that it appears his foot may have been attacked by a snapping turtle. One of his little toes are broken and the bleeding did stop. We have soaked his foot in epsom salt, rinsed with peroxide, put a small amount of neosporin on and wrapped with gauze and waterproof tape. His bandages get changed once a day along with an epsom salt soak. Does anyone have any other ideas we coud or should do? Should we use antibiotics? Vet is not an option. He still eats, drinks and cleans. He is currently placed in a "hospital pin" in the garage with clean water, food and his favorite snack: watermelon.

Attached Files:

biophiliac likes this.
  2. biophiliac

biophiliac Chillin' with the Peeps Premium Member

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    Poor guy! Looks like you are taking good care and I'm pretty sure he'll heal up ok. :D
    @Miss Lydia ?

casportpony likes this.
  3. Laura szarkowicz

Jun 12, 2017
    Thank you! We're trying!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    it should heal not sure if he'll have a limp. Looks like your taking good care of him.

I'd be working on getting rid of any snapping turtles you have in the pond though.

5. Laura szarkowicz

Jun 12, 2017
    We can't start trapping turtles where we live until July 1st.. but it is deff on our list.

6. Laura szarkowicz

Jun 12, 2017
    Day three! Yesterday after his epsom salt soak we applied blu-kote for the first time and it was starting to look swollen so we started him on a small amount of antibiotics we had left over. He only stands on it when the other ducks come in the garage to see him and any other time he kind of gimps. I'm a little worked of he'll be able to walk or if it's even healing right.

Attached Files:

biophiliac likes this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's def swollen, good thing to keep soaking, apply blue kote and give him some antibiotics I am sure bacteria had to be in that turtles mouth. The foot may never be normal but he should be able to get around as long as you can get him over the initial bite.

biophiliac and Ravynscroft like this.
  8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yikes....Poor Duck....Glad we have nothing like that here in Canada.....I have a Fox problem, no mean turtles here....:yesss:.
    Best wishes.....:highfive:

biophiliac likes this.
  9. Laura szarkowicz

Jun 12, 2017
    Do you happen you know the dosage for antibiotics for ducks? I currently have left over cephlexin 500mg caps that I've been sprinkling a small amount on some dried mealworms so he'll eat it. Is there anything else/better?

biophiliac likes this.
  10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

With Ducks you need to be careful on dosages ....Even certain things they cant take as a Chicken can....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by