manually pipping a stuck chick.

OzChickens

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2021
I still have mixed thoughts about manually intervening a chick stuck for hours during pipping.

This chick pipped initially yesterday, batch was due yesterday, some had pipped and hatched the day before, some were on time.

This one pipped it's beak through the egg shell late yesterday, then nothing all morning.

It start chirping again when moved and when I was manually breaking the shell.

(requires youtube login and over 18yo to view, temporarily hosted on a youtube channel from a previous hobby of mine)

it seems to be doing well 2-3 hours after the video was filmed, put some egg yolk into it's mouth with a tooth pick and it has been sipping on egg yolk from a milk bottle lid sitting in the incubator between occassional naps and spurts of energy moving around. When it's dried out and looking more stable I'll move it from the egg incubator to chick incubator (not humidity controlled but has heat lamp).

so far I've hatched 9 of 24eggs, detected 4 unfertilized eggs. hoping the remaining unpipped eggs are late pippers. (tried candling but my torches and light bulbs are not bright enough to be conclusive.)

this batch are leghorn from a local backyard supplier I have't used before. (in Brisbane, Australia)

I still have mixed thoughts about manually intervening a chick stuck for hours during pipping.

This chick pipped initially yesterday, batch was due yesterday, some had pipped and hatched the day before, some were on time.

This one pipped it's beak through the egg shell late yesterday, then nothing all morning.

It start chirping again when moved and when I was manually breaking the shell.

(requires youtube login and over 18yo to view, temporarily hosted on a youtube channel from a previous hobby of mine)

it seems to be doing well 2-3 hours after the video was filmed, put some egg yolk into it's mouth with a tooth pick and it has been sipping on egg yolk from a milk bottle lid sitting in the incubator between occassional naps and spurts of energy moving around. When it's dried out and looking more stable I'll move it from the egg incubator to chick incubator (not humidity controlled but has heat lamp).

so far I've hatched 9 of 24eggs, detected 4 unfertilized eggs. hoping the remaining unpipped eggs are late pippers. (tried candling but my torches and light bulbs are not bright enough to be conclusive.)

this batch are leghorn from a local backyard supplier I have't used before. (in Brisbane, Australia)
update:

all 9 chicks are doing well. no splayed legs, no signs of sick chicks. all active and chirping.

chatted with my egg supplier and they have offered 12 eggs to replace the infertiles / unhatched.

still to diagnose the cause. I'm looking at hygene issues and tighter control on humidity.

Back
Top Bottom