Marans - SOP discussion thread

Quote:
Most people would think this means that you have to ask permission before you copy anything from the SOP. That was the intent of that notice and I know that permission is very seldom granted.

Walt

I don't know if they require permission ahead of time, but it doesn't say that. Probably should find out for sure. I was under the impression that it was ok for educational purposes.
How would anyone know what the standard is if it was only in the book? We have it on the MCC web site, and I know we didn't ask permission since it was our club that made the standard up. I see other breeds have their standards on websites...who would know for sure in the APA to ask?

That's what I was thinking too. If it's on the parent club's web site, the site that sent in the proposed standard, then why would it be an enfringement? I can see where the Cuts and Defects might be, but the SOP for any breed, should, in my opinion, be there for anyone to view from the parent club, or listed other places with acknowledgment given as to where it came from. Not all people, including me, have the APA book to go by.

Quote:
I don't know if they require permission ahead of time, but it doesn't say that. Probably should find out for sure. I was under the impression that it was ok for educational purposes.
How would anyone know what the standard is if it was only in the book? We have it on the MCC web site, and I know we didn't ask permission since it was our club that made the standard up. I see other breeds have their standards on websites...who would know for sure in the APA to ask?

That's what I was thinking too. If it's on the parent club's web site, the site that sent in the proposed standard, then why would it be an enfringement? I can see where the Cuts and Defects might be, but the SOP for any breed, should, in my opinion, be there for anyone to view from the parent club, or listed other places with acknowledgment given as to where it came from. Not all people, including me, have the APA book to go by.

here's a site for the d'uccle how close it actually is idk but it was a site given to me by another d'uccle breeder. there are sites out there just have to find them... http://belgianduccle.hypermart.net/dUccle1page.html this site even goes into each color varity for the breed to.

not trying to take topic off of marans just showing that its out there other than in the APA book though

Last edited:
Quote:
Most people would think this means that you have to ask permission before you copy anything from the SOP. That was the intent of that notice and I know that permission is very seldom granted.

Walt

The APA SOP has copyright protection and yes they need to know ahead of time and I am the person you would contact to get that permission. That is why I know a bit about this. I don't have any problem with it being posted here and I mentioned that earlier. When it is printed in the SOP I would have some problems with it though. Then we would require that the person ask, so that we make the determination if it is of educational use or not. I'm not picking on you, you had good intentions, I just need it to be clear to everyone that the SOP has copyright protection and that is is real and the APA would go after someone who knowingly copied APA material.

Walt Leonard
Chairman of the APA Standard Committee.

Walt has correctly provided the basic structure for reproduction/use of the materials from the American Standard of Perfection. Specific to the Black Copper Marans description posted at the beginning of this thread, at the time they were still somewhat "in the pipeline" and that newness resulted in the latitude by the APA about the use of that description out here on the digital front. In a perfect situation the poster would have first requested permission of the APA prior to posting and then attached the usual note about credit and that it is copyrighted material of the American Poultry Association. I don't know if the original poster can go back now and apply those credit/copyright statements here on BYC. Just to note, as a provision of the APA's admission process a proposing breed club or other entity provides a statement that officially assigns copyrights for the standard description and illustrations to the American Poultry Association, Inc.

Just a few more notes of clarification on ASOP use and the Fair Use Doctrine, since the APA spent a bit of time developing some policies to cover this.
The Fair Use Doctrine doesn't just allow any old use of copyrighted materials as long as it is for "educational purposes." The Fair Use Doctrine is more comprehensive than that and guidelines for use essentially hinge on four key areas:

1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
2. The nature of the copyrighted work
3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work.

Following these guidelines, the APA outlined policies specific to the American Standard of Perfection:

 The intended user should request permission from the APA to use the materials.
 Any use, whether in printed form, digital, or on the web should include a statement clearly indicating that the materials are copyrighted by the APA and used with permission.
 The scope of use is limited to no more than one breed or variety text description in keeping with the guidelines for item #3 above.
 Permission for use of scanned standard illustrations shall not be given except in cases where the reproduction of the scanned standard illustrations is substantially different from the resolution or quality of the images in the Standard of Perfection or the use is for a limited one-time situation that will not impact the economics or marketing of that work.

These are the guidelines the APA currently follows in order to best manage our copyright protections for the Standard of Perfection. So, in response to one of the posters earler, one cannot just post any amount of ASOP text/material under cover of it being "for educational purposes." There are a few other bells and whistles that must be applied.

That's enough Fair Use Doctrine primer for one morning!
tongue.png
Back to the Marans dialogue.

Sam Brush
President, American Poultry Association

Good morning, friends! I'm really excited that our thread seems to be taking off. I have quite a few pics that were sent to me confidentially of defects/DQ's, and I'll post them on the first page soon. Thanks, all, for your willingness to provide actual pics of defects - we can ALL learn so much from this!

Also, a special "THANK YOU!!" to our APA judge members - Edgar Mongold, Walt Leonard, and now Sam Brush - without YOU, this thread is not nearly as useful, plain & simple!

59082_img_5131.jpg

Here's you a picture of a side sprig, I had a better picture of this rooster somewhere but can't find it. In this one he was in the middle of running off shaking his head, lol!

Back
Top Bottom