Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

here is one of my Birchen Marans hatched in April this spring.
It's a pullet.

Last edited:
This is a 20 week old BCM.

I am very new to chickens.

Would this Rooster be suitable in terms of APA standards to breed? I want to try hatching in the future. My goal isn’t show birds, but healthy chickens that conform to the standard.

Photos take in 2pm sunlight.

Attachments

• F58416A3-830B-45A4-9D90-25693BCBC3EF.png
    F58416A3-830B-45A4-9D90-25693BCBC3EF.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
  • AA49A38A-CA2A-434D-AADF-CF9FCBB6F3BC.jpeg
    AA49A38A-CA2A-434D-AADF-CF9FCBB6F3BC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 2D581E80-97F2-4162-AE41-352DAC7DCD6B.png
    2D581E80-97F2-4162-AE41-352DAC7DCD6B.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
That was a pretty heavy thread. I guess we're calling a do-over!! I am just a backyard chicken owner that has one lovely FBCM that has not started laying yet. I beilieve she is 21 weeks now, but I didn't hatch her so I"m not excatly sure. When do they usually start laying?

YAY ! ! ! A Marans thread!
smile.png

Recently I hatched these eggs ....

31282_1broodies_and_chicks_001_12.jpg

Here are some of the chicks today, at 8 weeks old (not the Lavender one) ....

31282_8-07-10_186.jpg

31282_8-07-10_192.jpg

31282_8-07-10_151.jpg

31282_8-07-10_153.jpg

31282_8-07-10_158.jpg

31282_8-07-10_159.jpg

31282_8-07-10_170.jpg

31282_8-07-10_181.jpg

Same bird as the one just above ...

31282_8-07-10_197.jpg

31282_8-07-10_182.jpg

31282_8-07-10_183.jpg

31282_8-07-10_184.jpg

31282_8-07-10_195.jpg

Feel free to comment HONESTLY. It won't hurt my feelings! Really, it won't!
lol.png

Glad to see a friendly thread on Black Copper Marans. I love ours and they continue to be one of the most popular birds and eggs we have!!!! Folks keep trying to incubate them out of the "eating eggs" and have no success because all eating eggs are thoroughly washed! But I don't blame them. Thank you Lord, I keep having people want chicks, birds and eggs and year round! We love to work with them and our other flocks.

Here's a pic of some of the eggs. I'll search and post a pic of our flocks later, but I must go start farm chores in a few minutes. These eggs were "first eggs" and of course over time lighten.
8875_bcmmail.jpg

Have a blessed day! Nancy

Since we're posting pics of our birds, here's my cockerel from this years chicks:

26987_mack4mo.jpg

26987_mack4mo2.jpg

I had two, but lost one to a predator, so I guess I don't really have much choice left! I think he's OK, though. I like his coloring. His breast has only a few flecks of red, and his hackles are more copper than gold.

His tail is a bit droopy, but I'm hoping it will fill in more as he grows - he's only five months old right now. And at least it's not a squirrel tail!

Comments welcome!

ETA: What do you think about his comb? I count six points, but one is rather small...

Last edited:
Took a few shots of my birchens that are my own project. These are two generations removed from the crap I started with. They look nothing like what I started with and know I have a long ways to go still, but am pleased with the major differences I'm seeing. I'll hold onto these until I see what sort of prospects I have from my other grow out pens and from those eggs I put into lockdown later tonight.

she's cropped in tight from a group shot, so I've lost the crispness on her...she really doe have a nice single comb, not the blob of pink you see haha

He's a split for gold, but has good heft and size on him. One serration on the second point of the comb, but I can deal with that after the mess I started with

A few words to share. I am fairly new to chickens and absolutely love it. I love my Marans. I joined this community to gain more knowledge and to meet others with the same passion as me. Before I go further into the reason of my post let me tell you a little more about myself. Take it or leave it. I have spent 5 yrs In the Military as a Sniper and also have spent over 10 yrs In Law Enforcement. I have been in some nasty and real negative environments. I have accomplished a great many things, seen a lot, done a lot and have been to the lowest of lows.

So why am I bringing this up in a chicken thread? Lets go back to the word community. When I first started to post in this thread I was apprehensive because of some negative posts. I wanted honest opinions, and I wasnt afraid of negative comments and shouldn't have to. Though I have personally met fantastic people, and a great person from here, that has taken out of their time (thank you Wynette). I have read through this thread in the short time here, with utter disappointment with the shear lack of respect to fellow posters. Especially new people. I can see the clicks and attitudes directed at outsiders. New people who post a few times and get run out to never come back. This is unacceptable behavior.

Certain individuals, though being really knowledgeable, try to assert themselves as the be all of poultry. Why are you placing yourself into a position of a teacher while you disrespect and run off your students? Lead by example in your statements and behavior. If you want to remain being a grump, keep it to yourself. In order to be a leader you also have to strive to learn new things. If you think you know it all, I got news for you, you don't. Also karma is a Bi***! You will have it come back to you. So with this said, Im not up for the drama. I have had enough in my life.

If this is what all of you want BYC to be than feel free. Its sad certain individuals spoil the fun, community, friendship, knowledge, and love we all have for our birds into something bad. For those really great and helpful people, thank you. For those that seek to ruin it for others? I hope you eventually get kicked out of here or you realize what you are doing. Take care. I will not be back unless things change.

I find there are clicks on most of the threads on BYC. It just goes with the territory.
People instinctively form relationships with others that share common schools of thought.
I think we should be able to disagree with each other without insulting each others.

I, also, believe we have to accept that other people will communicate in a different style than we would personally.
Some are BLUNT and some like to take the time to dress up what they say.

I like to keep the conversations centered firmly on marans and leave the personality issues out of it. There are few breeders out there that are truly knowledgable. Those that do know something are rarely willing to share it with the public at large. If you find a resource, a valuable resource, accept it in any package it comes in. . . . An educational book with a nasty ripped cover is still a valuable resource that you do not toss aside simply because it offends your sense of beauty. What is inside that book is what counts....

We are all grown ups here. We should be capable of ignoring those that offend us and responding to the ones we get along with. However, we should ask or expect others to suddenly change and become something they have never been.....
This is a tough one, to be sure. I have a bit of a different perspective as a moderator here (although you ALL know that I do not/will not moderate any of the Marans threads by now). Both of you have made good points, and we can all take a few grains from each, in my opinion.

I have had many folks (yes, "many") PM me to let me know they won't be back to the Marans threads due to the abrasive nature of some of the folks. They've even sent notes to other moderators saying folks are "bullies" here, and that some are condescending and cruel. BUT - pay attention here - this happens with almost all of the breed threads. Believe me, I know. Does that make it right? Probably not. Will it ever change? Probably not. So, you need to make a decision as to whether you're getting enough good information to make wading through the negativity worthwhile to you.

Math, I like your book anology; however, if that same old & valuable book had toxic goo on the cover, you might think twice about picking it up, and look to find a different source of good information. There is not just one "book" out there, after all. Then again, you might try and figure out a way to get to the information while protecting yourself...buy some thick gloves? (okay, this is probably all sounding hokey, and I'm sorry for that.)

From my personal perspective, I wish each "side" would give a little. In my years as a moderator here, most definitely I've made mistakes - I'm human. I've learned along the way to give folks second & third chances. That's just my nature.

I'd like to share something that I feel is pretty personal with you guys, because I appreciate each & every one of you and I think it's pertinent to this discussion. When folks are reported for being mean to others, I'm usually the first to offer, in our Staff section during discussion, to work with the member. We, as moderators, certainly don't have to do this; but I have found that many folks don't even realize that they're being perceived as negative, bullying, whatever. I have had more members than not be utterly shocked when I ask them if they realize it. I have found that 95% of the time, it's all in the delivery of the information. I've seen folks as cranky as a July day is hot make complete turnarounds. I've also had folks tell me "I don't give a fat rat's *** what anyone thinks of me, if they don't like it, they can lump it." I find it sad and feel badly for the person who replies in this way, and I think those folks are surely unhappy in other areas of their lives. But, I can say without a shadow of a doubt, that even the folks who tell me to take a hike feel they have really good information to share. 100% of them.

Something else: BYC was not intended to be a breeder forum. Hence the name of the site. I'm one who has really pushed to have areas like the breed threads, because I know for a fact they are helpful. Most of you are members of other forums (I certainly am) that are JUST designed to talk about breeding, genetics, and other related things. If you go look at those forums, sure, you can get good information and answers to your questions. However, you won't find, IMO, a community there. You won't make those lasting online (and even in person) friendships like you will on an all-encompasing forum like BYC. So, I guess the best word of advice that I can offer is to take those folks with a grain of salt that bother you. Type a note to the person and then don't send it when they get your goat. But, if you can find a way to communicate with them, the information and advice you'll get will help your flock - and in the end, isn't that what these breed threads are about?

Blood and Meat Spots. I have found some good info in the book Poultry Science and Practice by WINTER and FUNK

Blood Spots and Meats spots may be found in some eggs.They result from the hemorrhage of a small blood vessel located in the small blood vessel in the ovary or oviduct. A blood spot on the Yolk indicates a hemorrhage in the follicle at the time of ovulation.The focille probably did not rupture along the stigma where they are normally no blood vessels. If the spot is in the white of the egg, it indicates a hemorrhage in the wall of the oviduct. Bloody eggs are probably the result of more severe hemorrhage.Th reproductive system of the female is easily ruptured when in production. FRIGHT,HIGH PERCHES and NESTS, and a deficiency of vitamin K may result in an abnormal number of Blood spots.

Hope this might help.

Back
Top Bottom