Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quick question for the Marans lovers--I picked up three sexed pullet blue copper Marans out of the Meyer sale bin when I was there last (regular price $20 each, my price, $5 each, WOOT) and they have developed into pretty ladies (although I think only one has a good blue copper color). Anyway, they are 19 weeks old this week. What's an average age of first lay for Marans? I know it will probably be a few weeks, but I'm wondering when to start looking for those pullet eggs. I'm starting to see comb development and reddening in one girl but not the other two.

Quick question for the Marans lovers--I picked up three sexed pullet blue copper Marans out of the Meyer sale bin when I was there last (regular price $20 each, my price, $5 each, WOOT) and they have developed into pretty ladies (although I think only one has a good blue copper color). Anyway, they are 19 weeks old this week. What's an average age of first lay for Marans? I know it will probably be a few weeks, but I'm wondering when to start looking for those pullet eggs. I'm starting to see comb development and reddening in one girl but not the other two.

6 months. the combs will be a good indicator of when tobstart looking though.

I have 2 questions. 1 I am concerned after reading someone elses post, that my marans are not marans, but sex links. after a recent fair I also though maybe mine were sex links. How do I tell the difference? 2 is when you look at the following pics, notice one of my hens has a tail, the other one had feathers coming up and now they don't appear at all! thanks!

I have 2 questions. 1 I am concerned after reading someone elses post, that my marans are not marans, but sex links. after a recent fair I also though maybe mine were sex links. How do I tell the difference? 2 is when you look at the following pics, notice one of my hens has a tail, the other one had feathers coming up and now they don't appear at all! thanks!
I don't think they are Marans. sex links were my first though. I don't know of any sure fire way to tell...wait for rggs. BSL lay brown eggs Marans should lay dark eggs BUT they can be light brown too if not breed for egg color. my vote is BSL. What color is their skin? white or yellow (look at the soles of their feet)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom