Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I'm just starting out with BCM's and have noticed that some of mine already have too much red in their wings. They are only about 2 weeks old and a large part of the wing on 3 of them are copper colored. Some of the others are looking good so far. Can't wait till they are a bit older. I was basically wanting darker eggs but it is important to me to maintain good coloring characteristics of the breed.

I have decided to stick with the Marans breed for chickens on our farm. (small farm) We think we have all hens currently (breeder said she tried to give me all girls. so nice of her!). Regarding a rooster- should I get a couple more chicks (one if I can) that she suspects maybe a rooster now? Or wait until Spring when I add on more chicks and just keep one of the males at that time? I was not just thinking of breeding but also a little protection for my 6 little ladies. Thanks!
I breed so I always keep two roosters and one/two cockerels growing. The reason is the way a roo protects his girls is by putting himself in the way of the predator while the girls run and hide. The rooster often losses his life doing this. That being said you really do not want more than one rooster per 10 hens. so you will have to work out what is best for you.

desertmarcy, if you can identify who your pickers are, the peepers really do work. I believe there are some chickens that can't be broken of the picking habit. I have a leghorn that started picking and eating feathers as a chick. After a cooped up winter, she got worse, and a few others started picking up her habit.

I increased protein, provided entertainment (cabbage and such), and started free-ranging for part of the day, which helped, but the leghorn and one Welsummer continued picking, so they got peepers and the problem stopped. This year, I removed the peepers. The Welsummer is reformed, but the leghorn went right back to picking. She'll be wearing peepers for the duration of her time here. If you go this route, I recommend putting them on in the evening. Good luck!

I may have to buy some peepers and put them on all the birds. I am curious, exactly how do the peepers keep the chickens from picking? Is it a sight thing? Are they easy to put on the birds? Why do you recommend putting them on in the evening?

Wow, this is a busy thread!
Yes, it is a sight thing. They can only see down and to the sides. It seems kind of cruel, but I did not want to get rid of my birds, and nothing else worked for me.

It would be difficult to put on without 2 people (at least for my birds that are not used to being handled). The site I got them from recommended some kind of pliers, that cost much more than the peepers (maybe C-clip pliers?). DH has every tool, so we didn't buy them. Maybe needle-nose pliers would work,- you are using them to widen a springy piece of plastic, with tiny tabs that fit in the brid's nostrils. They should be able to breathe through their beak when correctly installed.

We put them on the leghorn in the middle of the day. Not only did she freak out, but every bird freaked out grabbing at her peepers like they were food. They pulled them off of her. We went in the next night and snatched her off the roost, putting them on by headlamp, put her back on the roost and she went to sleep. In the morning, no one even noticed, and the leghorn was scratching around like everyone else, but not pulling feathers!

I know there are people on the forum that outfit every bird in their flock with peepers for the winter, and take them all off in the spring when they are not cooped up.
Good luck with them! It is a frustrating problem.

Are marans an especially docile breed? I just got some chicks (blue copper and black copper) and they are so calm. <3

Welcome! Yes they are known to be pretty docile birds, but understand, just like every other breed they can have the unusual stinky pete who is a rascal.
Would love to see your babies when you have the chance. :)

Quote:

RUh-RO 'Raggy!!! *Argh, tried inserting a funny scared smiley and it won't work.....*
Becky got that info yesterday!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom