Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I'm having a hard time culling my juvie roo with the sprig.
I know I should just do it and get it over with but part of me soooooooo wants to keep him but I know I should not. Plus he does have that purple sheen I was reading some posts ago so he will have the mahogany issue. He is from a really dark egg and my secondary boy I bought as a day old so I am not sure what his egg color is. I am going to have to do something about this today or I will keep dragging my feet on it. I have another that also came from a dark egg but he has clean shanks.
I am not breeding to sell birds just eggs for eating at this point but will have to sell off my extras as I go and would hate to have my birds known for their sprigs...
Posting in the hope it will spring me into action.

What is the deal with egg color? How much does the male affect egg color in his offspring?

I know I should just do it and get it over with but part of me soooooooo wants to keep him but I know I should not. Plus he does have that purple sheen I was reading some posts ago so he will have the mahogany issue.  He is from a really dark egg and my secondary boy I bought as a day old so I am not sure what his egg color is.  I am going to have to do something about this today or I will keep dragging my feet on it.  I have another that also came from a dark egg but he has clean shanks. 
I am not breeding to sell birds just eggs for eating at this point but will have to sell off my extras as I go and would hate to have my birds known for their sprigs... 

What is the deal with egg color? How much does the male affect egg color in his offspring? 
50% so always use roo that came from dark egg.

!
ep.gif
How she got up there is beyond me, and then Kiwi had to do it too. She was sitting on the welded wire, and I watched her climb up the fence! She flapped and literally walked up the welded wire. I guess Mr. Boss in the Silkie pen made it abundantly clear to them that he did not want them in their with his babies, so they both flew back to their side of the fence, and went about their day. Crazy chickens!
I had a collie puppy do that. Had a 48 inch high exercise pen for a wall around the whelping box. Came in the room one day when they were a month old
to find her balancing on the top wire with all four feet. She had scaled the pen like a fireman climbs a ladder. Just wasn't sure how to get down once
she got on top. LOL. I got her down and had to reinforce the pen.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
I know I should just do it and get it over with but part of me soooooooo wants to keep him but I know I should not. Plus he does have that purple sheen I was reading some posts ago so he will have the mahogany issue. He is from a really dark egg and my secondary boy I bought as a day old so I am not sure what his egg color is. I am going to have to do something about this today or I will keep dragging my feet on it. I have another that also came from a dark egg but he has clean shanks.

I feel your pain... I have a beautiful blue/copper boy.. built like a watermelon at 10 weeks, great colour in both the blue and copper, street sweepers, (not sure about the tail angle as he is always running from me)... and a small sprig..
barnie.gif
I am growing the boys out for "table roos" so maybe someone else will show the shape this baby has, but they were all the hatched at the same time.
hu.gif
sigh.. I guess this is were the experienced breeder comes in (I am not) ... from what I understand sprig is VERY VERY hard to get rid of; so he will make a nice dinner. (I think from what Don said, read pages 1-39 and cull for any DQ)

Hi everyone!

I have two very handsome boys that are about 15 weeks old. One of them has almost black eyes. I'm reading that this is a DQ. He is not going to be shown, but the rooster I keep will be used to breed with my hens in the spring and I don't want to breed way-off birds.

The black eyed rooster is quieter, has a more pleasant crow, and is overall more the more pleasant of the two. The other guy has a non-stop crow that sounds like something out of Tales From the Crypt. If I keep the black-eyed boy will his offspring automatically have black eyes as well?

Thanks!

Hi everyone!

I have two very handsome boys that are about 15 weeks old. One of them has almost black eyes. I'm reading that this is a DQ. He is not going to be shown, but the rooster I keep will be used to breed with my hens in the spring and I don't want to breed way-off birds.

The black eyed rooster is quieter, has a more pleasant crow, and is overall more the more pleasant of the two. The other guy has a non-stop crow that sounds like something out of Tales From the Crypt. If I keep the black-eyed boy will his offspring automatically have black eyes as well?

Thanks!
If I remember correctly it can take up to 4-5 months for the eye color to change. Hopefully someone will have a better idea.

I just went out and looked him over and his eyes aren't actually black, although they appear to be from a distance. They're just a darker reddish-brown than the other. Is that what is meant by black eyes or does it actually mean "black"? lol

Hey Don. Haven't been on much lately, so thought I'd say hi! Did you see the 6month progress photos on the blue copper girl I posted the other day? I also have a few other nice girls growing out that are way younger I haven't taken shots of yet. They are growing tails back from getting picked out from an overzealous Olive egger.

Back
Top Bottom