MARCH 2021 HATCH-A-LONG 🌷🌸🌼

Pics
Here is my gang of 7 at one week post hatch. Can't wait to see what the patterns and colors will be and how many hens. We had 8 hatch and lost one at day three who we think was from a brown egg, so we are down to 1 likely full silver cuckoo marans. The rest are olive eggers, marans rooster crossed with our snowy white easter eggers. Looks like two chicks will be white, and that makes me wonder if the EE rooster was in the on the game right before we re-homed him. Hoping for at least two olive egger hens from the group.

Attachments

• IMG_7529.jpeg
    IMG_7529.jpeg
    619.3 KB · Views: 5
Well, the chick is nearly dry, and it appears to be black. Darn.

Anyone know what the typical color genetics are under the white in Ameraucanas? Obviously, all the Barred Rock x chicks will be black (solid females, barred males), but my Olive Egger x chicks will be little surprises for sure now...
Ameraucanas are one of the few breeds that come in a recessive and a dominant white strain. I believe the recessive white is more common. 😊

Ameraucanas are one of the few breeds that come in a recessive and a dominant white strain. I believe the recessive white is more common. 😊

Thank you! Clearly my guy is recessive white, since I have one solid black chick hatched now. I’m very curious to figure out what genes are hiding under his white. Since he was hatched from eggs that were supposed to be Blue Wheaten (well, BBS Wheaten, of course), is it possible that he’s a “sport” and is some variation of wheaten under the white? That would be ideal. I really don’t want to end up with a whole hatch of plain black birds.

Thank you! Clearly my guy is recessive white, since I have one solid black chick hatched now. I’m very curious to figure out what genes are hiding under his white. Since he was hatched from eggs that were supposed to be Blue Wheaten (well, BBS Wheaten, of course), is it possible that he’s a “sport” and is some variation of wheaten under the white? That would be ideal. I really don’t want to end up with a whole hatch of plain black birds.
You would need to test breed him to find out. Not sure about wheaten genetics, but if he throws any blue chicks with a black hen or splash chicks with a splash hen, then he is "hiding" blue.
Recessive white often "hides" black, but can also hide a multitude of other colors. In silkies anyway, often "hides" partridge.

Back
Top Bottom