March 2023 hatch-a-long

Officially on lock down! Whoo hoo!
Shadowing in air cell of one EE, lavender orpington and a Brahma.
@Tumbleweedlynn when are you in lockdown?
WOOHOO!!!!!!! I had some shadowing when I checked once it was dark (too hard to see if when I put them in lockdown so checked later that night. and had one hatch a couple hours into day 20!!!!!!

I also think I’m going to have to go buy another heat pad to sort out my mama heat pad. The one I have is small and I’m concerned it won’t be enough. I’m really pushing it here so tomorrow after work is get’r done. Worst case scenario I’ll lay it down for them but want to make it the best possible. I bought a shelf rack and I’ll bend the legs to make it lower but just doesn’t seem big enough. Perhaps a cardboard box over as well to trap heat with an entrance.
I use a couple of cookie cooling racks zip tied together and then nuts and bolts for legs. that way it is big enough. I got a 12x24 heating pad from amazon. Has 9 heat settings and you can change it to no shut off (but can be used with shut off just not with a MHP. LOL). I just ordered another one to have so I am sure to have a big enough space. I know $ is different for you but this one was only $20 USD. I have used one of them for 2 years with zero issues! I can look up the name to see if amazon has it for you.

WOOHOO!!!!!!! I had some shadowing when I checked once it was dark (too hard to see if when I put them in lockdown so checked later that night. and had one hatch a couple hours into day 20!!!!!!
Hurray! Can’t wait to see all your chickies. You have some really neat ones!
I really hope I have some hatch day 20 since it’s a Saturday and I didn’t plan anything this weekend because..hatch weekend! I will rush home tomorrow and stare at my incubator for hours on end lol

I use a couple of cookie cooling racks zip tied together and then nuts and bolts for legs. that way it is big enough. I got a 12x24 heating pad from amazon. Has 9 heat settings and you can change it to no shut off (but can be used with shut off just not with a MHP. LOL). I just ordered another one to have so I am sure to have a big enough space. I know $ is different for you but this one was only $20 USD. I have used one of them for 2 years with zero issues! I can look up the name to see if amazon has it for you.
I saw a bigger one of the sunbeam? One I have at Walmart so I think I’ll go grab that one tomorrow since I’m short on time. I know the brand has the no shut off too. I like that idea with the two racks and I have zip ties!

Hurray! Can’t wait to see all your chickies. You have some really neat ones!
I really hope I have some hatch day 20 since it’s a Saturday and I didn’t plan anything this weekend because..hatch weekend! I will rush home tomorrow and stare at my incubator for hours on end lol
I had to work today but have a camera so any chance I got I peeked in. As I was walking out the door I saw it peck a bit more. after I got in my car I looked and it was zipping. I was debating watching it all or try to get home and hope I made it. and I went home and made it. I took tomorrow off where it was hatch day and KNEW I would be up off and on all night peeking..... Now I have to leave super early and get my grand daughter up and ready for school and on the bus so will be gone for about 3 hrs hopefully I don't miss too much in that time.

Here comes the first fella! My first hatched chick!

Should I be worried that its running into its unhatched siblings. I know I'm not supposed to open the incubator until the chick is at least dry.

20230316_212154.jpg

Back
Top Bottom