March Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Yes I have considered that I just don’t want it to get too high either while I sleep especially since now I know I have at least one detached air cell...this is what I think I seen this is my first time I don’t have anyone here rn to take pics and don’t want to overhandle eggs..I’ll take pics when I candle next not sure if going to at 3 or wait till day 6...eggs 1,2,4,7,8,9 all look attached and good other than eggs 7 is slightly not much bigger air cell and 9 a tad bigger than that assuming their the oldest but I think okay ...egg 5 I think is attached and good but is pretty dark egg..eggs 3&6 are dark couldn’t see..egg is definitely not attached and moves wherever I understand this one will likely not hatch but worth a shot...soo here’s my issue...do I just put them all in egg carton and gently lift or just lean eggs and not actually turn or leave straight up and turn egg gently?? Should I put them in pointy end down of course and not touch for two days?? Seen that apt in my readings not to touch for two days then begin the leaning turning in carton? Will this affect the ones I believe are attached and good?? And then stop turning day 16 instead of 18 or??? Want you very experienced hatchers opinions on what you would do..still waiting for humidity to come down from putting too much water..sucked some out but hasn’t went down.. also I’ve seen some say keep humidity lower with detached cell but some are fine should I still keep at 40/45 or go with 35/40? I’m gonna be a pain especially this first time so I apologize in advance ..the one not attached is egg 10 I didn’t put the number up above..
I like to lay my eggs on their side and turn them 3 times a day. For the egg with the detached air cell put it in a carton air cell up. Put something under one end of the carton, every time you turn eggs change ends so the yoke doesn't get stuck. This is what I have done for detached air cells and my chicks hatched. Good luck.

Well I'm late to check in here but I have several staggered hatches going in the new ovation 56ex! Tbis thing is a beast I love it literaly no maintenance all (50ish) eggs developing nicely and 9 more in the janoel 12. Due bw 14th and 20th. Gonna have some full brooders. So some of them were an experiment, a friend from work sells eating eggs and I grabbed 2 dozen out of the fridge and aaid what the heck and threw them in the brinsea and 20 of 24 are swimmers now! I got rid of 4 just for space for some purchased eggs. So yes refrigerated eggs do stay viable in my case at least, now keep in mind these were collected and handled and refrigerated as eaters not hatchers and still basicly all of 20-24 started and I kept 20. More to come!

Serama chicks: Update at 6 days old!
20190308_110603.jpg
20190308_110634.jpg
20190308_110654.jpg
20190308_110722.jpg
20190308_110748.jpg
20190308_110810.jpg

Omg seeing baby pics is making me feel better, if it's alright I think I'll hang out on this thread for a minute :)..... I'm super frustrated with my incubator rn :rantbought it last summer, had maybe 4 successful hatches, and at the very end of my first hatch this year its dying on me:hit
I've got 6 shipped eggs inside, on day 22, day 23 starts at 8pm tomorrow. The temp on the incubator reads 105F but my thermometers inside were initially reading 100.5F, after lockdown day 18 they started reading 98F. The temp gauge buttons are no longer working, so I can't raise it, I noticed the temp was 98-99F day 19. It's now day 22, temps are reading 97-98F, I'm freaking out :( I bought a new incubator this evening, and itll be ready tomorrow... I'm thinking I'll quickly candle and transfer to the new bator tomorrow afternoon if nothing happens. My humidity was stable at 50% days 1-18, upped to 65-70% day 18, and I'm hatching shipped Ayam Cemani upright in an egg carton. I thought upright hatching would help the detached air cells, because that was my biggest problem with other hatches... but this time it's the bator. Ugh!! Fingers crossed somebody pips tonight :fl:fl

I just looked at the wood shavings we got for the chicks bedding and it's literally sawdust! Will they eat it and die? Could we use itas a base and put something else on top?
Also should we put a hen in there and hope she adopts them? None of our hens are broody and the chicks are surprise-mixes and pure bred livornese and piedmont blonds.
Regarding food we were intending to give chick feed from the feed store, then i read the "treats" thread on raising chicks here and wonder if we need to do treats too? I also read about putting additives in the water, is that necessary? Last time with the broody hen we didn't do any of that. If it makes a difference our eggs are all homemade from happy and healthy roos and hens.

Omg seeing baby pics is making me feel better, if it's alright I think I'll hang out on this thread for a minute :)..... I'm super frustrated with my incubator rn :rantbought it last summer, had maybe 4 successful hatches, and at the very end of my first hatch this year its dying on me:hit
I've got 6 shipped eggs inside, on day 22, day 23 starts at 8pm tomorrow. The temp on the incubator reads 105F but my thermometers inside were initially reading 100.5F, after lockdown day 18 they started reading 98F. The temp gauge buttons are no longer working, so I can't raise it, I noticed the temp was 98-99F day 19. It's now day 22, temps are reading 97-98F, I'm freaking out :( I bought a new incubator this evening, and itll be ready tomorrow... I'm thinking I'll quickly candle and transfer to the new bator tomorrow afternoon if nothing happens. My humidity was stable at 50% days 1-18, upped to 65-70% day 18, and I'm hatching shipped Ayam Cemani upright in an egg carton. I thought upright hatching would help the detached air cells, because that was my biggest problem with other hatches... but this time it's the bator. Ugh!! Fingers crossed somebody pips tonight :fl:fl
Wow, you're certainly having a trying time. Hopefully all will turn out well. Putting them in another incubator that has the right temperature may be the only way to save them, though. Good luck.

An update since I've been busy:
Two days ago, I received my first goose egg of the year from my older trio. Also as of this day, I have over two dozen eggs waiting to be incubated and hatch. If I actually hatch them all is another question, but I'm not sure what I'll do with so many chicks!
Yesterday, I candled all of my eggs put in on Sunday and only had to pitch one infertile one; the rest are developing including a mystery egg that I suspect came from one of my porcelain d'uccle hens though I can't be 100% positive on who the father is since she was out of her pen.
I hope everyone else's hatches are going well, and I love to see your pictures.

Hopefully will have my first hatches in years in a few weeks!

Bought some serama eggs last year but had 0/12 hatch :( A few developed but didn't make it!

Got my old brinsea octagon 20 going again after the fan packed in... Might be worth getting some more spares. Why did they stop doing those? Seems the perfect size for a light 2 dozen hatch :(

I think sometimes it’s purely marketing and biz strategy, makes people buy new stuff and something looks like new and improved to renew the consumers enthusiasm for new, especially if they already have product and name recognition. I work for a company that kind of deals with the same principles.

Back
Top Bottom