March Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Wellp no change on the ayam cemani incubator-challenged eggs....
But, my serama girl Kitty hatched her first eggs :ya She started with 8, kicked out a bunch, I just found these two peeking out :celebrate:love
20190309_163009.jpg

So those are mixed with the crested cream legbar's?

Awesome, what did you cross the blue chicks with?

This is a true mystery. A cross of hybrids (Cuckoo Bluebar x Cuckoo Bluebar) resulted in a splash bird that lays blue eggs. What's a Cuckoo Bluebar? Those that have created them will not disclose. BUT... Black Copper Marans x splash hen = blue chicks. AND they lay olive eggs phenomenally, like a production layer. So I crossed the resultant blue hybrid hen with a FBCM hoping for an even darker olive egg and got some blue chicks. We'll see what happens down the road.

So I got the incubator set up and ran it for a few hours . So I noticed that the temperature is off (too low) on it according to the two digital thermometers in it . If I cover the incubator all the way up it goes way over but if I leave the top exposed but mostly covered my thermometers are saying 100.1 So I’m leaving it alone for the night. Both hygrometers are saying humidity is at 29% . The hygrometers are not calibrated yet but I have two of the same kind that are in freezer baggies right now with slush salt mix.I will switch them out tomorrow when I turn eggs. The have been in the bags for about 8hrs and reading at 73% humidity. Don’t know if it makes a difference but I used the tablespoon salt method instead of the 1/2 cup of salt.

Eggs are set and since I already had one that I will have to turn I put in 3 more eggs in on the side. One silkie, and two silkie x really tiny bantam mix. One of those was in the fridge so I brought it to room temperature first. I haven’t hatched any from these two small bantams that I have. One lays a cream colored egg and the other a medium brown.

Meet my mystety egg. All my others are developing - dark top, lots of veins, black dot. This guy showed no signs of life. Day 6 shows up and I get this weird line.

One.jpg

It looks like a vein, but it goes from the air cell in a U shape back to the air cell. (Cell is marked in pencil.) I figure it's the trick of light and mark it as probably dead.

I checked again tonight and it's done this.

thumbnail_IMG_20190309_230405605.jpg

The vein seems to have moved, and grown? It also seems to move with the light. I'm assuming it's a trick of light somehow. It's something I've never seen before, though. I still have it marked for culling soon.

I think sometimes it’s purely marketing and biz strategy, makes people buy new stuff and something looks like new and improved to renew the consumers enthusiasm for new, especially if they already have product and name recognition. I work for a company that kind of deals with the same principles.
That makes sense! Guessing a lot of incubators can keep going year after year, have to come out with something new to get people to buy something new!

I did a candle yesterday for the mixed bunch... can see 4 developing for sure, 2 maybe 1 or 2 clear and the rest quite porous so hard to see anything. Since they are posted I would be happy with a 50% hatch! And then hopefully some hens...

Back
Top Bottom