March Hatch-A-Long

Pics
My beautiful little turkey hatched like a rock star. I'm bummed that it looks like the other two turkey eggs died. I'm not positive so I'll leave them but they dont look good. Hopefully a bunch of chicks hatch so it will have friends.
20190326_202335-1.jpg

Two chicks out, one that pipped yesterday hasnt made much progress, it is at the small side of the egg...

Opened up the older eggs that looked questionable, two quit a while ago and one died a few days ago I am guessing :( one remainer out of that batch, I pipped a little hole because ahhhh couldnt resist. Can see her little foot and there is still life there! Hopefully my two hatched little chicks will do well! They are currently snuggling with my pom pom hat.

I know I can do more harm than good trying to help... arg. Think I might retire my older incubator as these hatch rates arent great. Will see what pops out of the last 6 that should be hatching friday from a different incubator!

Two chicks out, one that pipped yesterday hasnt made much progress, it is at the small side of the egg...

Opened up the older eggs that looked questionable, two quit a while ago and one died a few days ago I am guessing :( one remainer out of that batch, I pipped a little hole because ahhhh couldnt resist. Can see her little foot and there is still life there! Hopefully my two hatched little chicks will do well! They are currently snuggling with my pom pom hat.

I know I can do more harm than good trying to help... arg. Think I might retire my older incubator as these hatch rates arent great. Will see what pops out of the last 6 that should be hatching friday from a different incubator!

That's why I pulled out my other incubator too Sunday and got it started up. I put 20 egg's into it the following day (Monday). Hopefully I will have more than one chick hatch out this time. They are due for hatching on April 14th.

I pulled out my other incubator that has the turner for it yesterday from it's box, and got it going. Today, in went 12 Naked Neck/Breese egg's from my flock, and 7 more Silkie egg's that I got through a local friend.
Good luck with your next hatch. Hopefully a different incubator will help your hatch rates.
My beautiful little turkey hatched like a rock star. I'm bummed that it looks like the other two turkey eggs died. I'm not positive so I'll leave them but they dont look good. Hopefully a bunch of chicks hatch so it will have friends. View attachment 1715838
Congratulations on the turkey. Sorry about the other turkeys, but at least one hatched.

I often feel like I should help, too, but I refrain. I've come to feel that any that need help aren't meant to live. Not to say I won't moisten the membrane if it gets dry or crack the shell if the chick has already zipped and just can't push hard enough. I just won't do a whole lot. If a chick's not strong enough to make it, it might just be weak later and die after I'm attached to it or something. Sometimes it feels like survival of the fittest(though not quite on a Charles Darwin level). It's sad when they don't make it, but it sometimes happens. Good luck with your chicks though and congrats on those already hatched.

I’m not against helping. I helped two so far that were taking a long time in a previous hatch. One had a internal pip but then didn’t make a hole ( it had stopped chirping) . I made a little opening and it hatched out by itself hours later. Another one had started a hole but then had no progress so I chipped a away part of the out shell and it still had no progress. So I took the top off. It then came out. I think it wasn’t positioned well. Those were incubated by a hen. Both of those didn’t have any health problems.

I know I said yesterday was lockdown but my humidity went to 46% so I checked and then opened it to change out sponges. I candled my day 19 egg and there isn’t any internal pips yet and then checked my silkie and silkie tiny bantam cross.

The tiny silkie bantam cross has a internal pip! It’s on day 18.

I closed it back up and now I won’t open it again unless I need to take a chick out. I’ll just put water through the air hole.

Last edited:
Another chick out.

The older chick hadnt made any progress so I had a bit more of a look. It was deformed, REALLY deformed, so I have euthanised :( poor little thing. I do wonder if it was genetics or incubation. But my 3 chicks were from the same incubator and they look great, so maybe a mix of both?

I did a sneaky order of some swedish flower hatching eggs, hopefully they will arrive quickly so I can join the easter hatch a long.:idunno

Back
Top Bottom