March Hatch-A-Long

Ms Biddy

One chicken short of crazy
Dec 4, 2017
My Coop
My Coop
My second hatch of the month is complete. All of my own eggs that made it to lock down hatched easily.

Calculating hatching percentage as those hatched vs those set, I had the following:

My own chicken eggs 70%
Shipped turkey eggs 8%
Shipped marans eggs 18% healthy + 1 blind and 1 rumpless

I did an eggtopsy on one of the failed turkey eggs. It was well developed but malpositioned with its head between its legs.

Tatuana

Songster
Dec 30, 2018
Utah
Sorry about the loss :hugs
I’ve had duckies hatch early - before lockdown, but not a full week early. It could be the bator if the temps were fluctuating or the egg was in a bit of a hot spot?:confused:
You know what I bet happened - the lady who kindly sent them had been gathering them for a few days. I bet the egg was older than the rest! It's the only thing I can think of. Not sure why he didn't make it, though. Very sad.

No activity yet, but tomorrow is their REAL hatch date. I have three left. I can't see anything at all inside the eggs. They're dark, but no movement. I've resisted looking into the egg and instead just candle from the side of the incubator. But still. After two deaths, several bad eggs, and five quitters, I'm a bit impatient to see if they make it. Especially since my last set of chicks are NOT friendly for some reason.

Ms Biddy

One chicken short of crazy
Dec 4, 2017
My Coop
My Coop
Especially since my last set of chicks are NOT friendly for some reason.
Do you have any idea why? The first batch I hatched this month are so friendly it's bizarre. They run up to my hand and want to be petted. They cry for me when I'm not there. I've NEVER had chicks like this before. I feel like it might be because I helped them hatch, talked to them and had my face constantly in the incubator window when they were drying off. Maybe they imprinted in me?

I also have two batches of chicks with broody hens. One hen sees me as an ally and friend. The chicks are not necessarily friendly, but they aren't afraid of me and will take food from me. The second hen doesn't like me at and has taught her chicks to fear me. When I enter her coop she tells them to stay clear and they do. She doesn't allow them to eat the food I bring until I'm gone. These two groups of chicks are all from the same eggs, but their moms have raised them completely differently and it shows.

Tatuana

Songster
Dec 30, 2018
Utah
Do you have any idea why? The first batch I hatched this month are so friendly it's bizarre. They run up to my hand and want to be petted. They cry for me when I'm not there. I've NEVER had chicks like this before. I feel like it might be because I helped them hatch, talked to them and had my face constantly in the incubator window when they were drying off. Maybe they imprinted in me?

I also have two batches of chicks with broody hens. One hen sees me as an ally and friend. The chicks are not necessarily friendly, but they aren't afraid of me and will take food from me. The second hen doesn't like me at and has taught her chicks to fear me. When I enter her coop she tells them to stay clear and they do. She doesn't allow them to eat the food I bring until I'm gone. These two groups of chicks are all from the same eggs, but their moms have raised them completely differently and it shows.

Yup, it's because of bonding! My older chicks (that I rehomed, I miss them!) I handled from day 1. I was always cooing at them, picking them up, feeding them from my hand, etc. They were in my basement where I spend a LOT of time, so I was pretty much with them 24/7. They at least saw me a lot. I mean, I'm sure I'm overstating how much time I spent with them, but you get the idea.

The other chicks were much smaller, and my older chicks wanted to pound them. So they were in a smaller brooder in the back of my larger brooder. As a result I couldn't get to them as often. I'd feed them, but I didn't have time to coo at them since the older chicks wanted food. By the time I rehomed my older chicks and moved the Tinier Babies into the bigger brooder they were about two weeks old and happy on their own.

Weirdly, two of my Tiny Babies (the older batch) were NOT friendly at all. One was terrified of me, the other bonded with the one who was terrified of me and followed them. My older babies would come for worms and crawl all over me. They ALWAYS followed me and came when I called. These guys come when I call about half the time, and have no interest in following me unless it's outside.

I personally think not having a rooster (roosters seem more willing to be friendly) isn't helping. My rooster was the leader and always taught them what to do. He had no shame.

Stick Chicken

Songster
Aug 1, 2018
Well, unfortunately, my chicks don't seem to be very hardy, at least not the d'uccles and sultans. I've had an older sultan and two of the youngest d'uccles die within the last couple of days. So far, the porcelain seems okay, but I'm worried about the younger sultan in with it. It doesn't act completely sick, but just off. The older chicks also seem fine, but I figure any of them can die at any time; it's just the sad thing I've found with these breeds. At least my cemani crosses are doing alright. I haven't had any of these die(knock on wood) and they seem really active. One of the younger ones looks kind of strange, like it's missing feathers and holds its wings funny, but it seems to be a fluke, while the other chicks' problems seem more like a pattern. I suppose it will just mean that I have to hatch more, which is alright since the eggs are lacking. I hope the rest of you are having better luck with your chicks after they hatch.

Top Bottom